Winter time ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
How many acres of ryegrass at 50 pounds per acre are needed to sustain a cow and small calf?

Soil type, nutrient levels, size of cow, and most of all precipitation play a huge factor.

you can put 25lbs of rye grass to the ac.an that would prolly start sustaining 2 pairs in jan or feb.rye grass will take off an grow fast starting in feb if everything is right.

50 lbs per acre is really over kill and wasteful... if fertilized correctly, and good rainfall, those two pairs won't be able to keep up with the rye grass' growth for several months. In FL, I plant Prine Ryegrass in Nov, and if good moisture levels are present, it will last into late May. This past year was horrible though, as we were experiencing a drought..

Gotta have rain to make it grow. Put out ryegrass last
2 winters and it never got going for lack of rain.

planted ryegrass a long time ago and it still comes back volunteer. problem is it just doesn't get enough moisture to grow in fall

I ran 60 pairs on 40 acres of rye grass last year . From December to April . But it's hit or miss down here . I wouldn't sell my hay and count on rye grass.

We plant rye grass in October in this area. Last year the volunteer came on like gang busters starting in late Oct and held well all winter. The 20 acres I planted in late Oct came up by Dec but didn't really take off until Feb.

Latest posts