Winter Pasture Turn out: Nov 1st

Help Support CattleToday:

OK Jeanne

Reaction score
Yipee! Turn-out for winter pasture!

532.jpg

531.jpg

The pictured section is oats.

now thats 1 heck of a winter pasture.better watch out for the squirts.calves will grow like weeds grazing that stuff.

HerefordSire":r59yk9kp said:
What does the economics look like with grazing oats versus alternatives?

Part of the pasture is in wheat & part in oats. I think they like the oats best; it's a wider leaf. At around 5-10degrees the top of the
oat plant will get brown/frozen off---but it comes back with a warm-up. Wheat is more winter resistant. I don't recall that the
price of the seed was much different. However the best oats we have ever had was the winter after we applied lime in the fall---then used
"Heavy Grazier" variety from East Texas seed co. It was a much more expensive variety. We didn't have enough animals on it, and it
started heading out in mid-December. It was the first and only time that we baled hay on Jan 1st.

if you hadn't posted a picture of that i'd never believe it. can you explain your operation more.

those pictures are dated 11/1/2009 and you said that is part oats/part winter wheat (but separate right). so when was is sown? when will those cattle come off there and then what - you combine the wheat and oats and if so what month. that just looks crazy to me. we live in the golden triangle of montana (wheat country) and i've never seen winter wheat like that before it froze. what kind of yields do you typically have. did you say what varieties they are - farmers around here have their own varities for drought tolerance and saw fly resistance. have you ever had winter wheat boot before it froze or do you make sure and graze it hard.

i don't know but my cows would think they had died and gone to heaven. pretty neat

HerefordSire":mppwscla said:
What does the economics look like with grazing oats versus alternatives?

The advantage of oats is that you can plant them earlier and are more are drought tolerant than other annuals. Disadvantage is not cold tolerant.
The primary use of oats is fall grazing or haying as nothing will be left in spring.
Also if planted after June they will not produce seed but have a unfertilized flower.
According to a lot or research at OSU, bin run oats perform as well as seed oats.
I planted oats the first week of Aug and they are waist deep now. I will use it like stockpiled fecue. I sowed 2 1/5 bushel to the acre at a cost of $7.50 acre.

http://beef.osu.edu/beef/graze/wntrgraz.htm

Hereford76":24mdtgg7 said:
if you hadn't posted a picture of that i'd never believe it. can you explain your operation more.

those pictures are dated 11/1/2009 and you said that is part oats/part winter wheat (but separate right). so when was is sown? when will those cattle come off there and then what - you combine the wheat and oats and if so what month. that just looks crazy to me. we live in the golden triangle of montana (wheat country) and i've never seen winter wheat like that before it froze. what kind of yields do you typically have. did you say what varieties they are - farmers around here have their own varities for drought tolerance and saw fly resistance. have you ever had winter wheat boot before it froze or do you make sure and graze it hard.

i don't know but my cows would think they had died and gone to heaven. pretty neat

My sweetie planted about Sept 10th. There's about 60 acres of useable bottom land---a creek runs through the middle of the 80 acre parcel.
Three bulls that are 1 1/2 yrs old are on it, and the weaned bull calves---weaned Oct 10th. The weaned heifers we put in regular
pasture---don't want them to put on huge amounts of fat . He planted about 15 acres with oats and the rest with wheat. We will
graze it all winter, take the animals off about March 1st, then make hay in early May. The oats have never all frozen out. They will
get bit back in a bad winter, but come back when it warms. We've never had the wheat (nor rye) boot out, but that one variety of oats
did. He also drilled some hilltop pasture with the oats. He uses a no-till pasture drill. It was almost 80 degrees here today and forecast
a little warmer tomorrow. It is about 10 degrees above average. I still have tomatoes on the vine---and a couple of roses blooming.

He planted "Bob" oats and "Jager" wheat.

We usually have have our beef steers on that field at this time of year---to be ready for the butcher in late Jan-early Feb. But this coming
season we are not producing any beef.

dont the oats freeze out an die pretty quick.we planted 20acs of oats here in north east tx years ago.an they froze out an died with our 1st hard freeze.

bigbull338":2tlwjp3v said:
dont the oats freeze out an die pretty quick.we planted 20acs of oats here in north east tx years ago.an they froze out an died with our 1st hard freeze.

If the oats were planted very late, and did not get a good root structure before very very cold weather, they might freeze out.

In the past years, our annual frost date here was Nov 10th and last frost April 10th. We try to get a very good stand with good
roots well before that.

OK Jeanne, really some nice looking oats. I'm proud to have some this year that is doing well too. A real eye opener when you essentially have a failure (last year).

Here is my exibit so far:

Planted September 21st about 11 acres. Rained 1 1/2 inches that night. Turned in yesterday morning.
Oats103109.jpg

Next chance to plant came September 30. Got 27 acres planted this time.
Oats103009.jpg

Third chance to plant, other than pasture drilling in hay meadows came yesterday. Got another 13 acres in. Supposed to rain Sunday. The last 35 acres is still to wet to do anything with.

Huge difference from last year
Oats.jpg

oats_at_UR.jpg

That was rough.

Jeanne - Simme Valley:
The steers that were born in spring of 08 would have been ready after being on this winter pasture until around the end of Jan 10.
We usually send out an email notice of availability just after Thanksgiving to all our prior customers and inquiries - and ask for a
deposit. Well, we all know what was going on last fall/winter----people were scared spitless about the banking system possible
failure, etc etc etc.....people were understandably hesitant about spending 1400+ for a half beef all at once. We don't have any
storage facilities. It took us about 4 months to sell all our beef. So we took the up-coming steers to the sale barn and decided to
take one season off to see what was happening with the economy. I'm still getting lots of inquiries and have a standard reply
explaining the situation and that we will have beef again in early 2011.

Here's some of last year's beef-note that the oats were a lot shorter. We had an almost dry fall and quite dry winter, all of which
added into the decision to haul to the sale barn.:

DCP_4050.jpg

Sean M":36yd0lnu said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":36yd0lnu said:
Oats may have been shorter, but the steers sure looked great.

They sure did. How much did they weigh when you sold them?

And feel free to post some more pictures ;-)

The steer that was looking to the right (a side view) had a hanging weight of 890 lbs. We didn't get a live weight from him.
He was about 22 months old. We were charging 3.69 per lb of hanging weight , and we were paying the butcher charges of
52cents plus kill fee of 25.00, "disposal" of 5.00 and tenderizing the rounds was 6.00. I've never figured out what the "disposal"
fee is all about---since they sell the offal as I understand.

I wish we had kept that particular one for a bull :?

Latest posts