winter grazing fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
To dun and the many others who graze fescue in the winter.
The grass here has been under snow for the last several weeks. Finally melted the last couple of days. The grass is packed on the ground. It looks like it has lost a lot of quality and volume. Is it just my eyes or how much does it loose? Only got enough to last a couple more weeks but was just wondering.

I've got two groups of cows that should have about 6 weeks of fescue left, but they haven't seen it since December 18th!

Jim G will know the atual data. Strictly anecdotal, our grass has finally reppeared after being buried for a month. Even with good quality hay the cows spend more time out eating the matted down fescue then they do aty the bale rings. Manure actaully is looser on the grass then it was on the hay

hey dun, thanks for the lead in as I was just passin thru.

The actual quality loss on fescue even after a couple months under snow is not all that great. It is the physical act of cows trying to lick it up off the ground that limits usefullness. Cows that have been trained to do it can get by ok. If you haven't made your cows do it in the past, they probably won't do very well.

Another big factor is when do they calve? If it comes out from under the snow in middle of Feb and the cows are calving, it will likely be a wreck. If you don't calve until April or May, they can get by on the packed stockpile until you get real grass coming.

It's interesting to watch the elk out here follow the melting snow lne up the side of the mountains. They love the old grass just as it comes out form under the snow. I think the added moisture at the time makes it more palatable.

jr

They have not been trained to eat it as we rarely have enough snow to cover the grass for more than a day. Different story this year. They are still grazing but when they hear my truck they come running.
Started calving this week and have started giving them about a 1/2 ration of good hay and they have 24% mineral tubs.

Latest posts