Winter Gain

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I have been told this recently and I want some opinions on this matter. Generally speaking, do cattle (calves mainly) gain weight slower during the cold months?

Compared to spring they do. Or so it seems. More energy begin expended staying warm needs to be used, unless you're creeping them.

Not here in NC- winter months are the easiest months to put weight on-- the only exception would be during wet cold spells
but they aren't often enough to drag down the rest of the days gain.

Howdyjabo":1lxdh0d8 said:
Not here in NC- winter months are the easiest months to put weight on-- the only exception would be during wet cold spells
but they aren't often enough to drag down the rest of the days gain.

Good point. I jsut noticed that the original is from LA.

I guess I should have qualified it as; nutrition being equal- calves will gain better in the winter.

i believe it is true, in an area where they have moderate to hard winters...such as here in iowa. we have moderate winters and calves do not gain as much in the winter as they would...say in the summer. when its cold, the calves have to use the feed you are giving them to create body heat and mantain body weight. i have heard, all though never practiced it, that feed rations should be raised a little bit more in the winter to allow them to gain more...i know alot of guys that dont, me included, because of the expense issue. i hope this all makes sense to you...

Makes good sense. In the spring and summer, our calves seem to pack weight on faster than the cold months. I thought maybe it was in my head.

A lot has to do with the breed. My Brahmans shiver all the fat off. Feedlots don't want them this time of year either. In March the price of ear will start going up.

Fall and winter calves gain the most here compared to the summer which have the least.
But you also have the increased cost of carrying the wet cow versus dry trough the winter.

Calves gain the best around here around freezing temp. Gets to warm and they sweat it of and when it gets to 40 degrees below it take alot of energy just for them to maintain their weight.

Latest posts