winter annuals seeded in/over fescue field

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
so we just got done with our first cutting of grass here in S. Oregon. Chalk it up to a good grass year, or improving the fertility; but our yield was 250% of what our first cutting was last year...

So now that we have enough hay for the upcoming winter, I thought I would try some experimenting with overseeding or no-till drilling some sort of winter annual into the stand to see how much "stockpile" we might be able to grow. I would like nothing else than to let that hay sit in the barn all winter and move some electric fence if I had to all winter. But could always fall back on plan A if needed and start feeding hay.

our first killing frost usually comes about the middle to end of September. I could go one of two ways, put something in now and see what sort of stand we could end up with come winter, or take another cutting of grass the end of August and plant something right back on it for the next month or so of growing season...

Anyone in the Northern climates had any luck interseeding, either by no-till or broadcast, into a grass hay field. It isn't sod-bound at this point so there is some soil exposed after it is cut. I would really prefer not to disk, even lightly, to lessen the chance of bringing back any weeds.

The field is only 40 ac, so it shouldn't be a bank killer, but always looking for ways to stay out of the hay pile.

Thanks

chukar":78x223pv said:
so we just got done with our first cutting of grass here in S. Oregon. Chalk it up to a good grass year, or improving the fertility; but our yield was 250% of what our first cutting was last year...

So now that we have enough hay for the upcoming winter, I thought I would try some experimenting with overseeding or no-till drilling some sort of winter annual into the stand to see how much "stockpile" we might be able to grow. I would like nothing else than to let that hay sit in the barn all winter and move some electric fence if I had to all winter. But could always fall back on plan A if needed and start feeding hay.

our first killing frost usually comes about the middle to end of September. I could go one of two ways, put something in now and see what sort of stand we could end up with come winter, or take another cutting of grass the end of August and plant something right back on it for the next month or so of growing season...

Anyone in the Northern climates had any luck interseeding, either by no-till or broadcast, into a grass hay field. It isn't sod-bound at this point so there is some soil exposed after it is cut. I would really prefer not to disk, even lightly, to lessen the chance of bringing back any weeds.

The field is only 40 ac, so it shouldn't be a bank killer, but always looking for ways to stay out of the hay pile.

Thanks
Don't know how many cows you are talking about, but 40 acres could go a long way depending on how many, just with the grass that is there now. I have used something like cereal rye, but mainly to have something early in the spring. Its not just getting thru the winter but also consider cool springs like we had this year where grass was slow to get growing cereal rye will be ready most years by the 1st to 15th of March.

Here in Ohio there's been some experimentation with seeding oats in everything from standing corn to wheat stubble, to cool season grass pastures. They fly it on the corn fields, no-till drill in other situations. They plant it after July 1 and it doesn't set much seed. Yields up to 5 tons/acre have been achieved. They strip graze it. Feed analysis shows a high quality forage into Feb, protein 12% or more.

We've talked about it but we've been getting really dry July & August weather the last couple years.

I was thinking of oats or maybe triticale. It is an irrigated situation, so not entirely dependent on rain. But we wouldn't be planting until let August or early September. So we would have maybe have 3-4 weeks prior to a hard killing frost. Would oats provide enough forage to justify the planting during that time frame?

one varialbe left out is what is the existing grass?

overseeding into a good grass stnad can supress the grass form a little to a lot.

not familiar with your climate so don't know enoght to reccomend....here cereal rye and lana vetch or crimson clover do very well but more for spring than winter....

we try to have enough fescue to carry into the winter....

Existing grass is predominantly fescue, several types of the newer soft leaf stuff, and some perrennial rye grass. It was planted in the fall of 2011. First cutting was right at 3.25t/ac with 7.5 4x5 bales/ac. But lots of bare ground stii from planting with 7.5" spaced no-till drill. So looking for something that would fill in those spots while giving a boost of fall/winter feed.

Climate is high desert, zone 6a I think. The cattle couldn't be on it when it starts raining, but from the end of irrigation until about nov 1, and then for quite a while once it freezes solid in about mid January through end of February.

It is all a learning deal, but trying to make the most of it. There will be about 60 head through this winter unless there is a glut in the market this fall with current hay prices.

Latest posts