Will she die?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
My daughter and I were working with a little heifer and when we let her go off of the halter a cow rolled her clear over. My dad always said if a cow rolls clear over she will die?

She acts ok and got up fine but was just worried.

This is a 500lb calf not a cow but still has me and my daughter worried.

JHH

JHH":18gyfvi8 said:
My daughter and I were working with a little heifer and when we let her go off of the halter a cow rolled her clear over. My dad always said if a cow rolls clear over she will die?

She acts ok and got up fine but was just worried.

This is a 500lb calf not a cow but still has me and my daughter worried.

JHH

Stuff happens.

The answer is "maybe / maybe not".

Time will tell and you are going to have to wait it out.

Bez?

Yea I know.

Kind of a silly question that cant really be answered until morning or later on in the week.

I was told that it twists their guts up.

guess I will be the first to know.

I will let you know how it goes.

JHH

Texan":29h5ttms said:
I wouldn't worry about that with a calf. My money says no problemo. :D

And, my money's on Texan.

Alice

Alice":50kezlab said:
Texan":50kezlab said:

Alice

Same here. ;-)

I had a 1000lb'er go down the other day and couldn't get up (long story) - only way I could get her up WAS to grab her legs and flip her on her back and to her other side. Then she was able to get to her feet. She's fine - been almost 2 weeks, no twisted gut.

milkmaid":r93jt4qi said:
Alice":r93jt4qi said:
Texan":r93jt4qi said:

Alice

Same here. ;-)

I had a 1000lb'er go down the other day and couldn't get up (long story) - only way I could get her up WAS to grab her legs and flip her on her back and to her other side. Then she was able to get to her feet. She's fine - been almost 2 weeks, no twisted gut.

Thanks.
You must be a miracle worker. Seems you save most of them. :)

You only hear about the ones I save. Never the others. :lol2: 8)

BTW - like that signature line! :lol:

9.9999 times out of ten they will be just fine. things happen and my money is with texan the the others that she'll be just fine just dizzy for a couple minutes after.

I had a 500 lb heifer that got cuaght in the fence back in the winter on a hillside.To make a long story short,she ended up about 2000 ft.down the hill twisting and turning and flipping and every which way you can imagine.She ended up just fine,a little drunk and wondering what happened but she was just fine and still have her.

Ooooh the dreaded twisted gut. Anything that the vets can't figure out seems to die of this mysterious condition. (DA)

I just bet she will be fine.

Some boss cows seem to enjoy rolling any calf not their own. Their would be thousands dead, nation wide if this were true. :)

KMacGinley said:
Ooooh the dreaded twisted gut. Anything that the vets can't figure out seems to die of this mysterious condition. (DA)

quote]
I appreciate your confidence in my profession. Frankly, there are 3 types of DA aka displaced abomasum, and not a single one of those would I term a twisted gut, but a twisted abomasum, or even a twisted stomach. None of them are in the least mysterious, and are easily diagnosed. This could be caused by an animal being rolled, but is more often corrected by rolling correctly.

A twisted gut would be a mesenteric torsion which to a vet is not the same thing. And it's RARELY caused by an animal rolling.

JMHO
V

KMacGinley":2qb8y1ki said:
Some boss cows seem to enjoy rolling any calf not their own. Their would be thousands dead, nation wide if this were true. :)

I've seen this happen a few times with our Longhorns. When feeding cubes out in pasture, I've seen a Longhorn cow flip a 50-70 lb calf 3' or so in the air with her horn. :shock: The calf did a complete flip and landed hard, but after it got up, it seemed to be OK and ran off to hide in the brush.

I had one on the end of a rope several years ago. He got tangled and ended up rolling several times - looked like something out of a movie - no problems after he got his legs back under him.

Cows are pretty sturdy creatures and calves have ability to rebound quickly. I'd watch for any change in the manure or urine. Hope that all is well....Dmc

Team roping I have seen lots of steers caught in a V with the header riding on and the heeler stopped. As the ropes come tight the steer does a real sudden roll or even two. I have never seen this have a negative affect any of them.
The cow rolling over story is a wive's tale. Probably spread by my ex-wife.
Dave

I have had 2 bulls that liked to roll similar to how a horse does. They figured out they could kill horse flies this way and did it all the time. They are both still living.

Well I've bit my tounge with this answer but I just can't hold it any longer. :oops:

This is not my answer it's just an impression, "best thing to do is to give her a shot of the ole 30/30 and move on, its a hard business and you can't go getting attached". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry guys I just had to. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts