She did it again..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
old red had another calf, and punched her ticket for another year. We'll have another rodeo in October weaning this hateful witch's calf..

"Whenever you're ready, punk. "

We usually wean the end of March. One cow I had, any time after Xmas that they were in the yards she would be right beside her calf, wouldn't let it get away from her. She knew it was getting close to time I would be splitting the calves off. Seemed to be worse with bull calves too, maybe the teenage girls just gave her too much $hit. She is gone now but one of her daughters is getting like that too.

Ken

I also have one like that! Every good group has at least one b*itchy red head...

:welcome: My first black angus cow I bought was very protective of her new born. I bought her at the sale barn because she was obviously on the wild side and nobody else wanted her. Bought her cheap and she settled every year with first AI service. She settled down after about two years but I would never trust getting near her or her newborn calf until at least a week after it was born. Finally sold her after probably ten calves because her udder dropped down so low that her calves had trouble finding teats. she always raised some of my best calves also. really kind of sad when she had to go.

Mine can't wait to get rid of their calves in the fall.. Oh, yeah, they make it sound like they miss them so badly for a couple days, but the way they come running to the corrals in the fall tells me otherwise

Yes I'm learning too that those wild or protective ones just aren't worth your time. Cull her while you can. We had one cow that's always had her head 3 feet higher than the rest. Finally this year she took on a whole new level of wild. After a couple near death experiences attempting to capture her, we simply had to give up. She got culled with a 270 win.

Salers. Amazing how one cow can sour you towards a whole breed. She and a few other difficult cows actually came with this farm when we purchased it. Told the old man that he'd left a few and he said good luck with them. That's been around 12 years ago and she's the last of those original witches left.

I've heard salers are a young mans breed. You have to be ready to run lol. I have no experience with them. I heard that about limousine too but the few limo influence we've had I haven't had much trouble with. Breeders are really cleaning up those issues

I work in a level 1 emergency room. let me tell you all right now that it doesn't take but one trip to the hospital to burn through a lifetime of all that extra income those "best ones" can earn you. Get rid of your questionable ornery ones. they aren't worth the bill, broken bones or burial.

I work in a level 1 emergency room. let me tell you all right now that it doesn't take but one trip to the hospital to burn through a lifetime of all that extra income those "best ones" can earn you. Get rid of your questionable ornery ones. they aren't worth the bill, broken bones or burial.
And thank you for working in the modern times "front lines".

Latest posts