will lepto cause this

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i have a nice looking heifer that just calved Sunday. problem is, she has no milk. she did not start bagging up early like heifers do, but 2 weeks prior to calving she bagged up nicely. just looking you would not ever suspect her being dry. gave her a shot of oxyt?? but she still did not drop any milk.

my question is this, will lepto cause this? i have talked to 2 vets about this and one says it will and the other says it wont??? actually i would not have ever asked that question, except the one brought it up as being what he thought might be the cause. neither of the vets saw the heifer. she has been vaccinated, but i know that is not a 100% cure.

neither of them mentioned mastitis, which i guess is possible. her quarters are firm, but not super hard nor hot. so i dont know.

what do you think?

thanks

jt

well ill say this ive never heard of lepto causeing them not to have any milk.but it could be possable.i do know this lepto IBR BVD can cause them to abort calves.but ive never heard of lepto causing a cow not to produce milk.

We had something similar last Spring. It was another calf stealing from her, and she never tried to stop it. We had to separate them.

Latest posts