Will it come up?

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
We finished clearing all the old overgrowth around about 30 acres late Friday. I broadcast 12 bags of fescue in the dark. I did not get to roll it. We got 1.5" of rain that night, started off hard and then tapered off to a slow rain. Turned off sunny and hot Saturday. Partly sunny/cloudy today. We may get more rain.

The ground was like talcum powder before the rain when we broadcast the seeds. I put down a lot of seed. I wish I could have rolled it.

Luckily, no washing or erosion. The rain just settled the ground. It has a few humps and bumps.

Will my fescue come up?

Hope, hope, wish, wish..

Not too late to get out there & drag it today or tomorrow. You'll likely have much better results if you do something than you will doing nothing.

Jabes0623":2s3r519v said:
Not too late to get out there & drag it today or tomorrow. You'll likely have much better results if you do something than you will doing nothing.

+2 dragging it or rolling it will imove results. Ideally, you could drag it all, then roll it.

Roll it now if you can. That will insure a better contact between the soil and the seed

It is pretty wet now. I don't want to rut it up and it is about to rain again.

How long after spreading it would I have to roll it before it is too late?

If it's real wet, you may run into the problem of it starting to germinate before you roll it. If that's the case, you pretty much have what you will get, you don;t want to roll it after it's germinated.

dun":356fg8et said:
If it's real wet, you may run into the problem of it starting to germinate before you roll it. If that's the case, you pretty much have what you will get, you don;t want to roll it after it's germinated.
That's what I figured.

I had a roller lined up Friday night, but that fell through. It was too big for my tractor, or really the clevis hitch rode too low and with a lot of flop. My neighbor has only monster sized JD. Plus it had a flat. I'd looked at it during the day, and did not see the flat. I looked, but missed it. I could have called him but it was getting kinda late by the time we threw seed. He woulds have done it with his tractor, but I felt like that was too big an imposition at 10 O'clock. He is in harvest mode.

I looked at it right before this last rain. I see some on top of the ground, maybe a quarter or less of what we threw. We put it on thick.

We shall see. It being hot, and damp it is going to germinate pretty quick I'd guess.

HDRider":su9k1x8o said:
dun":su9k1x8o said:
That's what I figured.

I had a roller lined up Friday night, but that fell through. It was too big for my tractor, or really the clevis hitch rode too low and with a lot of flop. My neighbor has only monster sized JD. Plus it had a flat. I'd looked at it during the day, and did not see the flat. I looked, but missed it. I could have called him but it was getting kinda late by the time we threw seed. He woulds have done it with his tractor, but I felt like that was too big an imposition at 10 O'clock. He is in harvest mode.

I looked at it right before this last rain. I see some on top of the ground, maybe a quarter or less of what we threw. We put it on thick.

We shall see. It being hot, and damp it is going to germinate pretty quick I'd guess.

dun is right ... You may want to get a disc for future you could have hooked to it and lightly disced it in

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good of a stand you get. You can't pack seed into wet ground, the crust is to hard when it dries the seed can't push through.

are you getting a single wheel packer or double at this point if ground is dry in next three day it would be good to hit it at least it will help
but fescue is pretty tuff stuff with rain possibly moveing some dirt it may work out
yea just what true grit said

When I reseed an existing field that is weak, I just broadcast it like Ma Nature does. Seems to work fine.

Don't touch it. If it is bare ground the rain was all it needed. I would have added rye or wheat but I always add a cover crop to help it get started. U will have a good stand.

We got more rain on it last night. It is supposed to be clear, hot and humid the next few days.

It is tough when you don't have all the right the equipment.

If nothing else, you've added to the seed bank. What doesn't come up now, may come up later. The rain is a great equalizer. I have broadcast spread a lot of grass seed, doesn't always start off as thick as drilling it, but improves year after year. Sometimes you just can't get it they way you'd like, so you settle for the way you can get it. Hope it comes on strong for you HD.

Latest posts