WILL FERTILIZER GET MORE TONS $

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
USALLY ONLY FERTILIZE 2 YRS ON NEW STAND THEN QUIT. JUST WONDEING IF YOU GUYS THINK ITS WORTH IT. DO YOU THINK IT WILL GET YOU MORE BALES PER ACRE AND OFF SET PRICE OF FERT. HILLSIDE

We've always believed in fertilizing. After 1st crop every year....just remember you are taking off the field, you need to put back into it to keep it healthy.

Where I live, 2 tons of bermuda grass (4 - 100 rolls) per acre takes 100 lbs of N, 40 lbs of phosphorus and 85 lbs of potassium out of the soil. If it is not replaced, it is like writing checks and never making a deposit - just mining the soil. Besides our sandy soils here in East Texas will produce very little without fertilizer.

hillside":28w0gwby said:
USALLY ONLY FERTILIZE 2 YRS ON NEW STAND THEN QUIT. JUST WONDEING IF YOU GUYS THINK ITS WORTH IT. DO YOU THINK IT WILL GET YOU MORE BALES PER ACRE AND OFF SET PRICE OF FERT. HILLSIDE
SOIL SAMPLE, SOIL SAMPLE, SOIL SAMPLE

This is the only way you will not waste your fertilizer $$$. Don't forget to lime.

HAY%20EQUIPMENT%20HEADQUARTERSa-s.gif

hillside":g7ate6qm said:
a soil sample is a must. but you cant keep robbing the soil buy haying and not put back. you can bet it well come back and bite you. reduced hay prodution ,weeds sedge grass and so on.

Our feilds get plenty of manure. just wasn't sure if should be doing more. Probably will get soil sample. HILLSIDE

BC, I am suprised at the differences in forage tonange yeild per acre around this great country. I am not familiar with Bermuda Grass but, just grass hay around here makes about 3 tons to the acre that is half again as much as what you said you are getting off of an acre. It's amazing!

hillside":3eqa35cr said:
Our feilds get plenty of manure. just wasn't sure if should be doing more. Probably will get soil sample. HILLSIDE
what kind of manure are you spreading you can build up enough fertility in the soil with manure to go a year or so without fertilizing but i would keep a spray rigg handy

[email protected]":1il0ktaw said:
BC, I am suprised at the differences in forage tonange yeild per acre around this great country. I am not familiar with Bermuda Grass but, just grass hay around here makes about 3 tons to the acre that is half again as much as what you said you are getting off of an acre. It's amazing!

We can increase the tonnage by delaying cutting, but we do so at the expense of quality. If we get timely rains, it is posible to cut 3 to 4 times in a summer. Our happy medium of quantity and quality is to cut at about 28 days of new growth.

Latest posts