Will Cattle Cross W/O Fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
These ditches border some property I am fencing. I am downstream of these so my section of the ditch may be a little deeper at my property. I didn't have pics of mine but these are the same ditches upstream where they cross public roads on neighbors property. The first pic is the back of the property and always has water. The second pic must have been after a rain because that is usually when it has water. These intersect at my property. Do you think cattle will cross these if there is no fence?

Runs West/East
Ditch2.JPG

Runs North/South drains to first pic
Ditch3.JPG

It depends on how deep the water is and the mud is at the bottom. They may just stay there and drowned. But you can bet they will try to cross it.

Haven't you seen any of the westerns where all the cattle are crossing the rivers? :cboy:

But on a serious note. In the bottom picture they have both a water gap and a fence running down the right side. Those are both there for a reason. You might cruise around that area and see what people are using for gaps, fences... maybe ask how high the water can get in those ditches. Your best resource for info is the people who have been around there a while... or at least they are the best place to start. :tiphat:

I was planning on fencing it. The reason I was asking... the neighbor who owns the property in the West/East picture stopped by this weekend. He left me scratching my head when he commented I didn't need to fence it. He does have cattle on his property. Anyway just wanted other opinions to rid the second guessing. Where I am the water in the West/East pic is 20'+ across.

The North South pic divides pasture and crawfish farm. The T-Post no longer has wire on it, but have never seen cattle on the crawfish farm side. That's what had me wondering if they would cross it, but I guess they may not have a reason to.

Brute 23":30d4f40d said:
That is odd. May be worth asking the neighbor in more detail. Fence is not cheap.

Id probably run at least one hot wire or some thing just for a little piece of mind. Especially if those T-posts are still there.

Well, I don't think I could turn out cattle with no fencing and sleep good at night. I have seen deer cross the North/South with no problem. It does have me thinking about trying electric fence which I have never used. This would save me some time & money, compared to 5 wire barb or field fence.

Absolutely.

The neighbor across the river has cows that will jump her fence. They then will scale the cliff and hit the river. They'll cross the river and eat all the vegetation on my side. Occasionally they hop my fence and eat out of the hay meadow.

I had cows hanging with my herd for 4 weeks. I had no idea where they had come from. A long lost friend called me from up river and described the cows. I penned the herd and cut them out into the loading chute. It was a 20 mile ride in his trailer to go about 4 miles.

If I go to my pasture right now a few cows will be out in the stock tank with water up to their chests. They wouldn't think twice about that ditch of yours.

backhoeboogie":2mnc2h87 said:
Absolutely.

The neighbor across the river has cows that will jump her fence. They then will scale the cliff and hit the river. They'll cross the river and eat all the vegetation on my side. Occasionally they hop my fence and eat out of the hay meadow.

I had cows hanging with my herd for 4 weeks. I had no idea where they had come from. A long lost friend called me from up river and described the cows. I penned the herd and cut them out into the loading chute. It was a 20 mile ride in his trailer to go about 4 miles.

If I go to my pasture right now a few cows will be out in the stock tank with water up to their chests. They wouldn't think twice about that ditch of yours.

The grass must be a lot greener on your side of the fence. :lol:

SteppedInIt":20q0wx41 said:
backhoeboogie":20q0wx41 said:
Absolutely.

The grass must be a lot greener on your side of the fence. :lol:

Darker green. Heavy N sure gives them the squirts.

Latest posts