wild heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

She seem's to be calming down, we have had her for a little over a month. Went out in field with them yesterday and she didn't run off like she usually doe's. She just kept an eye on me and stayed near the other cows. We haven't had to bring them into the corral since she's been here. So we will see what happen's when we do. If she freak's out she will be going in the freezer, wouldn't want to dump her on some else. Thanks, for all your help. :clap:

lmj":34y8sf5g said:
She seem's to be calming down, we have had her for a little over a month. Went out in field with them yesterday and she didn't run off like she usually doe's. She just kept an eye on me and stayed near the other cows. We haven't had to bring them into the corral since she's been here. So we will see what happen's when we do. If she freak's out she will be going in the freezer, wouldn't want to dump her on some else. Thanks, for all your help. :clap:

Just wait until she calves.... you are about to learn the hard way. Good luck :tiphat:

I agree with K2011 I put all of the cows we buy or wean in a pen at the house before they go to the pasture. I always keep one here at the house who would follow me any where. And will eat out of my hand. I feed range cubes by hand and I will throw the other ( crazy cow ) a few till she gets a good craving for them and eventual she will start to genital down but you have to have patents and a good strong feed lot to keep them in. All you have to be is more stubborn then a crazy cow HAHA that works for me.

Brute 23":2tv0ulty said:
lmj":2tv0ulty said:

Just wait until she calves.... you are about to learn the hard way. Good luck :tiphat:

I have to agree with the wisdom of Brute 23.

The variation in answers you have gotten probably runs the gammut of ages and production systems.
What is wild to me might be just another cow in west texas or to a younger man.
When I was a young buck we would run em down with horses or rope em and even bull dogged a few. I was into proving horses and macho men back then.

Now.... if I get one that does not come when I call, then she is subject to getting the first X by her number. Two XX and they grow wheels. We steered our second best bull calf this spring. Vet asked me why I was steering such a nice calf. I told him that this calf had already made a pass at me and I did not want him to hurt anyone. I worked the market calves this past weekend to get them ready for a sale and he has not calmed down any. I made a good decision.

It is too early to tell how much she will calm down or how wild she will get but it is not to early to see that she is on the wrong end of the dispostion bell curve. When you go to gather, most likely she will be the one that takes off around the hill and others will follow, particularly calves. If you are young and have cattle for the excitement, then go for it.

Me... life is now too short to put up with dirt pawing, tail raising, fast running, fence jumping, hide and seek playing, day ruining idiots. My daddy use to say about horses, "It don't cost a d _ _ _ ed bit more to feed a good one than it does a sorry one." I apply it to all things for which I am the supply larder.

I have on of those that has not been in the corral for 7 years or so. She has not been wormed or anything. If I ever catch her I might sale her. She does give a great calf every year and she looks dang good for not being wormed. She does try and lead the heard off tho when its time to catch the cows and work them.

That may be one still going around that I sold last year. Don't know how it would have made it up your way however.

I had a crazy one just like that. Actually, I do believe that she was a little mentally retarded. Live is much better without her on the farm.

Latest posts