Wierd Sick Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a third calf cow that has got someing pretty drastic wrong with her. She was always a little bit smaller framed and generally a lighter animal. The one calf of hers that made it to the sale barn was nearly 200 lbs less than another calf that was born the same day. She is with a herd of about 15 cows and 1 bull. She had a calf in late Jan. and seemed to recover quickly from the birth and both the calf and the cow looked healthy. Then, in late march, we were running short on what little bit of poor quality hay that was left and the cool weather here in SW Missouri was not promoting grass growth. The entire herd seemed to loose a little weight in that short period of time that food supply was low, but this cow seemed to drastically drop the pounds. We moved them to another pasture where there was some fresh sown red clover and a adequate amount of fescue. The rest of the herd recovered quickly but this number 49 cow continued to loose weight. I seperated her from the calf thinking that she was not ably to support both herself and the calf. This helped nothing. Both animals have foamed at the mouth, the calf is now dead after a long period of lethargic mentality. And the cow is just skin and bones and walked with EXTREMELY tender feet, and is panting all the time. She doesn't even make an effort to get up when you get close, I can give her shots without a chaute. I have given her multiple doses of Vitamin B12, A, D, and L.A. 200. She is not worth a vet bill even if she did make it to the sale barn. HELP, please, if there is any hope!!! or should we put her down? She hasen't made me any money because of the first and last calves dying.

I would find out from your vet what exactly you need to collect have a post done her, shoot her, harvest what you need. I would like to think that whatever it is is isolated to this cow based on what you have said ~ but you have lost a cow and a calf. If it is something that could affect your herd, then the post will more than pay for itself. But yes, she needs to die, and soon, and with your help.

001736419":udd2p9i0 said:
I have a third calf cow that has got someing pretty drastic wrong with her. She was always a little bit smaller framed and generally a lighter animal. The one calf of hers that made it to the sale barn was nearly 200 lbs less than another calf that was born the same day. She is with a herd of about 15 cows and 1 bull. She had a calf in late Jan. and seemed to recover quickly from the birth and both the calf and the cow looked healthy. Then, in late march, we were running short on what little bit of poor quality hay that was left and the cool weather here in SW Missouri was not promoting grass growth. The entire herd seemed to loose a little weight in that short period of time that food supply was low, but this cow seemed to drastically drop the pounds. We moved them to another pasture where there was some fresh sown red clover and a adequate amount of fescue. The rest of the herd recovered quickly but this number 49 cow continued to loose weight. I seperated her from the calf thinking that she was not ably to support both herself and the calf. This helped nothing. Both animals have foamed at the mouth, the calf is now dead after a long period of lethargic mentality. And the cow is just skin and bones and walked with EXTREMELY tender feet, and is panting all the time. She doesn't even make an effort to get up when you get close, I can give her shots without a chaute. I have given her multiple doses of Vitamin B12, A, D, and L.A. 200. She is not worth a vet bill even if she did make it to the sale barn. HELP, please, if there is any hope!!! or should we put her down? She hasen't made me any money because of the first and last calves dying.
Does her brisket look full as though she's fat there even though skinny in the rest of her body? If so, she is probably full of cancer and there's no hope.
Valerie

vclavin":28khty9m said:
001736419":28khty9m said:
Does her brisket look full as though she's fat there even though skinny in the rest of her body? If so, she is probably full of cancer and there's no hope. Only a vet can really tell you what is wrong. If it's a disease of some kind, you may be smart in the long run to spend the money to make sure the rest of the herd is not affected
Valerie

She needs to be put down, but with a vet present or soon after. The vet bill for the necropsy will be worth finding out what is wrong and whether it could affect the rest of your herd down the road. Pay now or potentially pay more later.

No need for a vet. She died today (on her own). And no, there wasn't any fat on her brisket. Skin and bones. Thanks any way. I guess I waited too long before trying to see if a vet was necessary. Everybody I talked to (early on) said that the calf would probably die but the Cow looked healthy enough to make it. She made it 5 months like this and the last month I was expecting her to die at any time.

Let's see, you lost 2 calves and a cow, she was skin and bones for 5 mos. and you "guess" you waited too long to call a vet, trying to save a vet fee. Now you're out 2 calves and a cow. Seems to me a vet bill was cheap compared to losing 3 hd. But, sorry you lost them.

Sounds to me like she died from idon'tknowshyt disease brought on by i'mtoocheaptoocallthevet syndrome. It happens all the time and we usually get to hear all about it on here.

Angus Cowman":21rio91q said:
Gelbvieh 5":21rio91q said:
Sounds to me like she died from idon'tknowshyt disease brought on by i'mtoocheaptoocallthevet syndrome. It happens all the time and we usually get to hear all about it on here.
headupa$$ disease
The technical term is "analcranial inversion"

Angus Cowman":3metydd6 said:
Gelbvieh 5":3metydd6 said:
I think that is often called idon'tknowshytfromshineola syndrome or headupa$$ disease

often complicated by inflammation of the idontreallygiveaflipanyway

Latest posts