Why retain ownership?

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
I'm writing a presentation about why farmers/ranchers should retain ownership and feed them out in feedyards. Any help would be appreciated :cboy:

The 2 positives I see is getting carcass and feedlot data so you can tell what needs improving, and the extra dollars possible.
The down side can be what they actaully market for come slaughter time, and the risk inherent with owning cattle in a feedlot.

dun

on average, the order buyer that buys weaned calves at the sale barn is making money. if you get rid of that middle-man, theoretically there should be more money available to the producer.

i was told by one of the largest Angus breeders that research has shown that in 11 of the last 15 years marketing on the grid has been shown to be considerably more profitable.

How many head does it take to retain ownership?
Do you need a potload? also is there a number that makes more sense?
Interesting topic, especially for us red breeders I could see how retaining ownership of cattle that dont sale wellin your region, but would still grade well could prove to be a boost in overall dollars.

I know nothing about this so maybe I am wrong
educate me....

MD

Interesting topic, especially for use red breeders I could see how retaining ownership of cattle that dont sale wellin your region, but would still grade well could prove to be a boost in overall dollars.

educate me....

MD

redfornow":12mwqu4j said:
Interesting topic, especially for use red breeders I could see how retaining ownership of cattle that dont sale wellin your region, but would still grade well could prove to be a boost in overall dollars.

educate me....

MD

It mostly depends on if you can comingle with other producers or what size group a particular feedlot is willing to deal with. Some feedlots specialize in retained ownership deals and will comingle yours with other similar cattle to make a slaughter pen.
Other feedlots want a minimum of a pot and some would prefer a full pen. But pen size can vary be feedlot. Tons of variables. You might want to check in your area for feedlots and talk directly to them.

dun

Interesting, I will talk to the ext office they should know what is going down.
Really never had thought about retaining ownership but it could work.

On that note Dun you should write a book, no since in letting all of that knowledge die with you.... :roll:

MD

redfornow":8tlqt3mc said:
Really never had thought about retaining ownership but it could work.

MD

We've retained percntages form 25% to 100%. Made money on some, lost money on others. Waiting ti find out about a load of heifers that we retained 100% on. Should be heading to the slaughterhouse some time this month.

dun

Dun, Did you do any risk mgt on these calves?

Just got back results of our MS farm to feedlot. Calves killed in late march went for $86.50 and made about $50 bucks a head. Those killed in early may were down to $79.00, and lost around $50.00 a head.

Could have bought April futures in Jan for $93.00

Go figure.

Johnny

Johnny":3kuse6lw said:
Dun, Did you do any risk mgt on these calves?

Just got back results of our MS farm to feedlot. Calves killed in late march went for $86.50 and made about $50 bucks a head. Those killed in early may were down to $79.00, and lost around $50.00 a head.

Could have bought April futures in Jan for $93.00

Go figure.

Johnny

Yes. But that balc magic crapola I leave to the people that know what they're doing . Our marketing group has a couple of pretty sharp cookies at that sort of stuff so we just leave it to them to watch our butts. It's worked so far..............

dun

One thing to remember is your cash flow. If you've been selling all your calves in the fall and decide to retain ownership till the next spring or summer, it will delay payment for your cattle.

One way to go would be to sell some of your better heifers from last year as bred in the fall, along with part of your calf crop. Then retain ownership on your better calves till next spring and sell them then. That way you've got a major source of income(hopefully) twice a year instead of once. You also need to find a good feedyard that knows how to feed your type of cattle so that you, as well as they, can make good money off of them.

Lot's of variables: Quality and number of cattle, the quality of the feedlot, transportation costs, feed costs, health programs, how much risk your willing to take, etc.

Latest posts