Why cattle called "Fancy" or "Super"

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
When people use the word fancy or super to describe a breed of cattle does this mean something special or just mean what the the word say? Like when some one says "super baldie"

Fancy is a term for real good quality. Super is pretty much he same. Usually in terms of appearance and in good shape/health.

Never heard super used. Fancy is the word for prime quality 1st cut cattle. Excellent frame and weight for age and zero issues. If you ever have someone call your sale animals fancy, you can put a feather in your cap and look forward to ringing the bell.

You mentioned super baldy. To me that refers to a Brangus x Hereford, as opposed to an Angus x Hereford. So it's a black baldy with some ear.

What they said. Super Baldy is a known cross bred "Name" for a type of cow. Super or Fancy is a reflection of the buyer or sellers opinion of their stock.

Rafter S":3fykqwbw said:
You mentioned super baldy. To me that refers to a Brangus x Hereford, as opposed to an Angus x Hereford. So it's a black baldy with some ear.
I thought it was F1 tiger stripe X black Angus?

TennesseeTuxedo":xu5gwgf5 said:
Muddy":xu5gwgf5 said:
Rafter S":xu5gwgf5 said:
I thought it was F1 tiger stripe X black Angus?

I think Rafter nailed it.
Well it's almost same animal.... Well it has same breeds.

Most of the time when I have seen an animal that has been described as fancy I have shuddered. I have only heard this term when referring to females. In my opinion most of these females are fine boned and frail. Most of them have poor fleshing ability and will need supplementation over and above forages in order to complete the yearly cycle that cows must do. Females that I have seen described as fancy would get thin and eventually come in open and thus cull themselves if they were on our ranch.

Rafter S":25ukstkn said:
Yessir you got it. :nod:

Kingfisher":3752x8ue said:
What they said. Super Baldy is a known cross bred "Name" for a type of cow. Super or Fancy is a reflection of the buyer or sellers opinion of their stock.
What I have found in my recent search for heifers and cows are they are some of the words/terms used by owners to describe and also market their cattle. They are used in a variety of ways so hard to tell by the words used what there intended meaning is until you ask. The best set of heifers I viewed were called super baldies. They were out of Angus cows and top Hereford bulls. Then I've seen others use it pertaining to F1 Tiger Stripe x Black Angus. Many terms are started for one reason but then others pick them up and use them in a different way. I've seen the terms Hi blacks and ultra blacks used some in this area. Hi blacks at least in this area is used by a sale barn to denote top quality and Ultra blacks was started to denote Brangus x Angus as I understand it but I have seen both used differently. Many times I see super used with other terms like super fancy. But not always. It is like the term "Norther Genetics". Another marketing term that has many meanings. Many use whatever word they feel will catch the buyers attention. Because that is the first thing they have to do to have a chance to sell their livestock.

elkwc":1pdki4zp said:
Ultra blacks was started to denote Brangus x Angus as I understand it but I have seen both used differently. Many times I see super used with other terms like super fancy.

Ultra should be 7/8 angus 1/8 brama

tdc_cattle":esgz5148 said:
elkwc":esgz5148 said:
Ultra blacks was started to denote Brangus x Angus as I understand it but I have seen both used differently. Many times I see super used with other terms like super fancy.

I don't think so. A cross between Angus and Brangus would result in an animal that's 3/16 Brahman and 13/16 Angus.

Rafter S":39uj0dic said:
tdc_cattle":39uj0dic said:
elkwc":39uj0dic said:

I don't think so. A cross between Angus and Brangus would result in an animal that's 3/16 Brahman and 13/16 Angus.

May not be but that's what I've always been told.

Sale barn auctioneer here uses "fancy" for animals that look good.. With calves, it's usually the ones that put on lots of weight fast and are "full of themselves".. I'll have to go back and look at the videos of the sales and see if he used it for mine.. I think he did. :>

Nesikep":200p2lu4 said:
Sale barn auctioneer here uses "fancy" for animals that look good.. With calves, it's usually the ones that put on lots of weight fast and are "full of themselves".. I'll have to go back and look at the videos of the sales and see if he used it for mine.. I think he did. :>

Sure he wasn't talking about you? :lol: ;-)

tdc_cattle":20atx0k3 said:
Rafter S":20atx0k3 said:

May not be but that's what I've always been told.

Why isn't a brangus bred to an angus 1/4 Brahman 3/4 angus?

Latest posts