Who's responsible?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
My son who is 35 and an experienced driver was driving a county road just after dusk. Dark enough he had his headlamps on, when came up on a tractor driving without lights. He swerved to miss it and his rear quarter panel caught the axle of the tractor ripping it pretty bad. Who is liable in a situation like this? I know that I would never drive a tractor after dark myself without lights or at least someone following me with blinking lights.

I would say the tractor for not having lights but, you know how the law can be.
Glad no injuries!
Good luck.

Larry

cowsrus":1ta4m89v said:
My son who is 35 and an experienced driver was driving a county road just after dusk. Dark enough he had his headlamps on, when came up on a tractor driving without lights. He swerved to miss it and his rear quarter panel caught the axle of the tractor ripping it pretty bad. Who is liable in a situation like this? I know that I would never drive a tractor after dark myself without lights or at least someone following me with blinking lights.

I realize the tractor should have had lights on, but if your son couldn't see him with his lights he was driving to fast.
What if it was a stalled car or something else in or on the road.
So I think both would be at fault.

Did it have a SMV sign, triangle? Was it on a FM road? Friend was hit when he was pulling a disc and the driver of the vehicle was liable. I don't know in your particular situation.

No one is gonna be pleased with whatever answer comes up. That's what car insurance is for. Let the blasted insurance companies duke it out.

Alice

Not knowing exactly what happened, the best I can do is say that in most accidents, both parties are usually at fault to some degree.

Wasn't the DOT called in? I'm sure they can come up with who was to blame, and write em up and fine em at the same time.

GMN

ffamom":17nu79fe said:
Did it have a SMV sign, triangle? Was it on a FM road? Friend was hit when he was pulling a disc and the driver of the vehicle was liable. I don't know in your particular situation.

Your right in Texas depends a lot on what road your on if it was a FM or county the driver of the vehicle is at fault. State hwy a whole nuther story.

Sounds like to me both were at fault. But I think the investigating official would determin who's responsibile. Then if it goes that far the judge will have the final say.
Just glad no one was hurt.
I will say no way would I operate a tractor on a public road after dark with no lighting.

Cal

Calman":3py0a7hc said:
Sounds like to me both were at fault. But I think the investigating official would determin who's responsibile. Then if it goes that far the judge will have the final say.
Just glad no one was hurt.
I will say no way would I operate a tractor on a public road after dark with no lighting.

Cal

Also could have got one of those stories like I used to get, but Dad I was only doing 30 and you dang well know they were doing 50 or 60 at least. I have several of those parent T-shirts when amazing mishaps happen, I didn't raise any angels and wasn't born last night.