Who is your Favorite and Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

What cowherd genetics are your Favorite?

• Schaff Angus Valley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whermann Angus

• Stevenson/Basin

• Express Ranches

• Gardiner Angus Ranch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THG

Reaction score
Dear Angus Friends,

Here is a survey that I want to see who likes what genetics in the Black Angus breed. What genetics are you all chasing to support the beef demands?

THG

THG":1g67k2c0 said:
Dear Angus Friends,

Here is a survey that I want to see who likes what genetics in the Black Angus breed. What genetics are you all chasing to support the beef demands?

THG

Why name all the big ones?

There are many, many smaller outfits that do just as well as these.

Or is this just a popularity contest?

MikeC":397uj3mt said:
THG":397uj3mt said:
Dear Angus Friends,

THG

Why name all the big ones?

There are many, many smaller outfits that do just as well as these.

Or is this just a popularity contest?

Exactly, I voted in the poll (even though I have never been to ANY of those ranches); but there are at least 5 or 6 Angus breeders IN ALABAMA I would visit for a bull before I traveled to Montana or Kansas or Virginia. I could pay $2000 MORE for a bull within 300 miles and come out ahead of going to Montana when you factor in travel costs.

It looks like a three way tie for 1st place. Yes, Sitz and Connealy botha re great herds, but I chose these 5 herds first. Not to say that these 5 herds are better than Connealy or Sitz.

THG

I'm the Stevenson Basin vote.

Why you ask.

For some reason they sent me a sales brochure last year. It had a really nice little story in it and that created a positive feeling regarding their outfit. Since I don't really know anything about any of the choices, I voted for them.

Now how's that for an informed voter!

Cuz

CUZ":1dxlh55u said:
I'm the Stevenson Basin vote.

Why you ask.

For some reason they sent me a sales brochure last year. It had a really nice little story in it and that created a positive feeling regarding their outfit. Since I don't really know anything about any of the choices, I voted for them.

Now how's that for an informed voter!

Cuz
Stevenson/Basin raises some darn good cattle no doubt. If you raise Black angus cattle, you should try out Stevenson Moneymaker R185. He is one darn thick bull that sold last fall in there sale.

THG

backhoeboogie":1yryzr06 said:
Not for this climate. Brangus will work fine but not angus.
What about Gardiner Angus cattle, they wouldn't work in your neck of the woods?

THG

THG":1tu0mb7l said:
backhoeboogie":1tu0mb7l said:

THG

You'd wind up with low lines in no time. If you calve in the fall you'd do okay but not as good as something more suited for the environment.

I gotta ask. Why would Gardiner cattle do better than anybody else's cattle in south Texas. ohhh cause they lead off everbody's sale book? :roll:

so far, this poll is about as accurate as some epd's

how about if we change the question to which 5 angus breeders would you like to visit you have never been to?

Well I did not vote. There are some darn good cattle raised by the little guys. The ranches listed above have some good cattle but I think they may be over priced.
Take your time and look around. I suspect you can find what you need or want from some local breders at a better price.

backhoeboogie":1snu77zf said:
THG":1snu77zf said:
backhoeboogie":1snu77zf said:

THG

You'd wind up with low lines in no time. If you calve in the fall you'd do okay but not as good as something more suited for the environment.
Are you saying that Angus cattle cant stand a chance to survive in Texas or at least in your part of the world? Or are you saying that if I lived in Texas just to say, and I bred my Angus females to Gardiner bulls, I would produce low line angus genetics?

THG

THG":5zrzbt2t said:
backhoeboogie":5zrzbt2t said:
THG":5zrzbt2t said:
backhoeboogie":5zrzbt2t said:

THG

Are you saying that Angus cattle cant stand a chance to survive in Texas or at least in your part of the world? Or are you saying that if I lived in Texas just to say, and I bred my Angus females to Gardiner bulls, I would produce low line angus genetics?

THG

All I can tell you is what I see. Angus cows have a tough time with consecutive days of 100 degree heat. Other breeds do better. If angus were the answer to all the worlds problems, Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, Brangus and other breeds would have never been developed.

I have two angus cows and they are suffering right now. My brangus are holding their own.