Who is your Favorite and Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

What cowherd genetics are your Favorite?

• Schaff Angus Valley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whermann Angus

• Stevenson/Basin

• Express Ranches

• Gardiner Angus Ranch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
THG":2gacuc1o said:
backhoeboogie":2gacuc1o said:
THG":2gacuc1o said:
backhoeboogie":2gacuc1o said:
Not for this climate. Brangus will work fine but not angus.
What about Gardiner Angus cattle, they wouldn't work in your neck of the woods?

THG

You'd wind up with low lines in no time. If you calve in the fall you'd do okay but not as good as something more suited for the environment.
Are you saying that Angus cattle cant stand a chance to survive in Texas or at least in your part of the world? Or are you saying that if I lived in Texas just to say, and I bred my Angus females to Gardiner bulls, I would produce low line angus genetics?

THG
i dont think thats what he meant. :) dont see why brangus cows and angus bull would'nt work good . let that bull hang out in the shade. while the momas are graz'in and producing milk. and you can produce a black calf with just the right amount of ear... im slowly moving in the brangus direction really like'in em. ;-)

ALACOWMAN":3hlo8fr7 said:
THG":3hlo8fr7 said:
backhoeboogie":3hlo8fr7 said:
THG":3hlo8fr7 said:
backhoeboogie":3hlo8fr7 said:
Not for this climate. Brangus will work fine but not angus.
What about Gardiner Angus cattle, they wouldn't work in your neck of the woods?

THG

You'd wind up with low lines in no time. If you calve in the fall you'd do okay but not as good as something more suited for the environment.
Are you saying that Angus cattle cant stand a chance to survive in Texas or at least in your part of the world? Or are you saying that if I lived in Texas just to say, and I bred my Angus females to Gardiner bulls, I would produce low line angus genetics?

THG
i dont think thats what he meant. :) dont see why brangus cows and angus bull would'nt work good . let that bull hang out in the shade. while the momas are graz'in and producing milk. and you can produce a black calf with just the right amount of ear... im slowly moving in the brangus direction really like'in em. ;-)

You're on the right track. Right now I am rebuilding because of the '05 drought culling. My bull is brangus and I am looking for all heifers if I can get them. My next bull is probably going to be a murray, to shorten the ear and to market steers. Murray is something interesting me, if they can stand the climate.

BTW, My brangus bull has brought lots of inquiries. Folks are very interested in him, when I am done.

Brangus Bulls have done a great job all of the deep south. I have seen a lot of ranchers in Central Florida breeding there stock to Brangus bulls.

THG

It looks like a lot of you all like Stevenson/Basin cattle. Also, Wehrmann Angus and Gardiner Cattle are we excepted into your alls programs. Schaff Angus Valley is seems to be used in some of your alls breedings as well. But, it looks like some of you all or the most of you all don't care to much for the Express Ranch cattle line. Maybe we just need some more votes and good opinions?

THG

I met the Silveira brothers at Stevenson's sale years ago-in my opinion the late Wayne Stevenson was a better stockman than Keith is-Wayne was pretty forthright about what cattle did or didn't work for them. Anybody here remember AAR Maverick lol. Just because a bull carries a brand from a big outfit doesn't automatically make him superior but they all raise some good ones along the way.

vs_cattle":19ym170a said:
The operations above are great in there own way but my favorite Angus breeders are Silveira Bros. from Firebaugh, CA
I have never heard of that outfit.

THG

Who will be heading out to these 5 Black Angus Breeders Production sales this year? I hope to see one of you all at these sales.

THG

Northern Rancher":1co8uju7 said:
I met the Silveira brothers at Stevenson's sale years ago-in my opinion the late Wayne Stevenson was a better stockman than Keith is-Wayne was pretty forthright about what cattle did or didn't work for them. Anybody here remember AAR Maverick lol. Just because a bull carries a brand from a big outfit doesn't automatically make him superior but they all raise some good ones along the way.
Are you going to the Stevenson/Basin sale this November Northern Rancher? Do you raise Black Angus cattle as well or is Stevenson/Basin close to where you live in Canada?

THG

I have only seen a few Maverick daughters, I liked their composition of being moderate, sound, functional and old.

That doesn't mean they were all that way though.

SEC":13czaoy4 said:
I have only seen a few Maverick daughters, I liked their composition of being moderate, sound, functional and old.

That doesn't mean they were all that way though.
That is true, but darn good momma cows.

THG

THG Stevenson's is just a short 800 mile drive away from me-I have a couple hundred angus cows. I doubt I'll be going to Stevenson's sale this fall I pretty much buy all my bulls from Fraser's that raised that Horned Hereford I pictured.

SEC you should-just good honest cow people that run their purebred cows a bit harder than most commercial guys run theirs. Got to see our black bulls great grandmother there on Sunday-13 year old cow still going strong. Where in Saskatchewan are you from?

We have been into this "poll" for three days now and there is not a "none of the above" category for me to vote on. So I don't get to see what the results of this "poll" are. Somebody disclose the results please. Or are we suppose to just randomly vote and skew the results?

Latest posts