who cummutes

Help Support CattleToday:

The wife drives a 2013 Dodge Dart Limited about 60 miles round trip to school and back everyday, or to work and back when she isn't in class. Been very happy with it so far. I was surprised how much leg room it had in it front and back. Avg is 33 mpg, but she keeps her foot in that accelerator all the time. Has all the bells and whistles--a 4 cyl turbo and auto trans. We drove it on vacation last summer, with me doing most of the driving--a very comfy car to drive and ride in--I'm a pretty big guy--6'4 and about 230lbs.
EPA city/highway driving rating: 27/37 mpg
yrmv

dieselbeef":ow5nr1bk said:
not too bad..inside room is important.

gage isnt geting any smaller. hows the backseat room/legroom
It's not huge back there, but I comfortably sat in it during the test drive and that was what sold me on it over the Ford Focus, which was it's competitor--I don't look at Jap, German or any other Asian cars--nor would I ever again consider a govt motors car.
Here's the comparison chart for just about every aspect:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dart/comparisons.html

JSCATTLE":mn2aboqt said:
I drive 45 miles one way to work . I had planned on getting a small car but after seeing a Honda civic that got hit by a log truck . Ill pay the extra and drive a pickup . The hwy I travel is 2 lane without a shoulder for about 15 miles. Speed limit is 75. I've had to get over in the grass on several occasions because of people looking at their phones. My father in law has a Pontiac vibe he drives. He loaned it to me just to see if I'd like it but the road noise is so bad you need ear plugs . The majority of my commute is for work . I prefer to be comfortable. With that said . My mom had a Honda civic thats got almost 300 k miles on it . Never had a problem with it .

The state went bat shyt crazy on the speed limit at 75 on 95% of our roads.
Lot of the roads around here should be 60 mph max as they were built down old cow trails.
To top that off around every curve or over the top of a hill is some little blue haired old ladies
driveway.
Seen the idiots from Houston on several occasions were FM 256 ties into US 190 is a tee.
They are going so fast when they top the rise there is Hwy 190 they go across five lanes of traffic and have a truck and bass
boat planted in pine trees.

hillbilly beef man":3pwtrqmb said:
JSCATTLE":3pwtrqmb said:
I drive 45 miles one way to work . I had planned on getting a small car but after seeing a Honda civic that got hit by a log truck . Ill pay the extra and drive a pickup . The hwy I travel is 2 lane without a shoulder for about 15 miles. Speed limit is 75. I've had to get over in the grass on several occasions because of people looking at their phones. My father in law has a Pontiac vibe he drives. He loaned it to me just to see if I'd like it but the road noise is so bad you need ear plugs . The majority of my commute is for work . I prefer to be comfortable. With that said . My mom had a Honda civic thats got almost 300 k miles on it . Never had a problem with it .

With a wreck involving a log truck a pickup is not going to fair any better. It just might be a little easier for the EMTs to find all your parts if you are in a pickup.
I hear ya on that but I feel better about hitting the shoulder to avoid the log truck in my pick up than I do in a beer can riding 13 inch wheels.

dieselbeef":39arq3z1 said:
looking for another commuter car to wear out

hate shopping for cars..

gotta have at least 35 mpg so its a tdi/civic/corolla/mazda3

any exp with any of them

probly be a cpl yr old one but less than 50 k hopefully. i do bout 20k a yr/40 mi ea way

I was looking at a Prius used at the Ford dealer. The salesman asked if I would be interested in a new C-Max They had discounted by $10,000 which made the price $19,500 and was told they would take another $1000 of if I was interested.

The C-Max is discontinued. My mother in law has one and likes it most of the time. Every so often the battery goes dead, and Ford can't figure out what's causing it. But Ford gave her a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for all her troubles.

I have a Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission gets 36 mpg. It's kind of awkward getting in and out if you're over 6 ft tall but otherwise is comfortable and drives and handles like a sports car. It's a '07 model and has 150,000 miles on it. Clutch has been swapped out once. My son drove it in Atlanta and back and forth for 4 years when he was in college. Front tires need replacing yearly. AC works great.

nothing with batteries..nope nope nope...ga primes car is closest...looks like sentra/civic/corolla. anyhting else has too many gimmicks or cant cut the mileage.
hate to get into one of those piles of poo but i hate buying gas too

Caustic Burno":7rdzs0jv said:
The wife's carries four adults comfortably one of things I really like is the sliding backseat.
She routinely picks up four or five sacks of cubes when she goes to town.
I like it when we go to see the kids rides higher than a car and has butt high seats.
You don't have to fall in and out of it like her old Impala.

1959 Two door hardtop?? :hide:

I have a Kia Septra that I bought new in '08 for $10,000. It has 168,000 miles on it now without a hint of trouble. It gets around 34/35 miles per gallon. The best I have got was 39.9 miles per gallon. I buy them new and drive them until the wheels fall off.

what do yall think about buying a car from ohio since i live in fl..is it gonna be a rust bucket..its a civic..will it become a rust bucket in 5 yrs

I suppose it depends on how they took care of it, but it won't become a rust bucket in 5 years. I have an '01 Chevy that I never wash. Ever. It's just now started to rust. There are tons of older Civivs and such on the road up here, the rust isn't as bad as people make it out to be. From what I've seen, the salty air on the coast down there rusts things worse. I can't keep my better fishing tackle in my aunt's garage (Rotunda) or it'll be rusted to pieces when I return.
If your commute involves any driving on 75, particularly in the winter, I wouldn't want to drive anything less than a ¾ ton truck. :D Those people are nuts.

dieselbeef":371bh94j said:
what do yall think about buying a car from ohio since i live in fl..is it gonna be a rust bucket..its a civic..will it become a rust bucket in 5 yrs
Have you seen the impact fees? Putting that car legally on the road here will cost quit a bit.. not to mention the fake ads possibility. I am also looking for another vehicle so i can restore my old dodge p/up. I had a mini van that had a 6 cylinder engine and it got the same mpg as my old truck. I sold the mini van lol.. If I hear or see anything local I will let you know though. :)

Had an 06 civic. The engine block cracked at 154k. There was a problem in the mold of certain lines. Honda didn't impress me. They denied it could've been a defect, I didn't spend the extra money having the mechanic tearing it down to prove cause thinking I couldn't afford to battle with them in court. Found out later, therye had already been several complaints made against them, they knew there was an issue.

Three or so years later (after loosening a few court cases) they put out a statement saying that if your car had been involved in an overheating incident due to the block cracking, they'd reimburse you. They wouldn't recall it, because that would make them liable. They weren't exactly admitting fault, though they were guilty of a bad product. I had a second engine put in that was in the group that might fail- done before any of this came out. They wouldn't just replace the block until it failed. That didn't sit well with me, who knows how far from home i'd be or what I'd be doing when that happened? Lady hung up when I told her that didn't sound like a very good sound bite for her company. They wouldn't return my phone call.

It's gone over 300k body, another 150k on the new engine. Gave it to my wife's neice for college. It's still going. Other complaint I had, I can't count the number of a/c blower motors and transistors I put in it- common problem again that Honda said they knew of no issues. The internet boards about the car did. No fix to prevent continued issues was offered.

I just don't trust the company from that experience. Luckily I made the decision to replace the motor for close to $5k. Had I just scraped the car, I'd never have received compensation for their block defect. :mad:

Shantilly":3bropbni said:
dieselbeef":3bropbni said:
Have you seen the impact fees? Putting that car legally on the road here will cost quit a bit.. not to mention the fake ads possibility. I am also looking for another vehicle so i can restore my old dodge p/up. I had a mini van that had a 6 cylinder engine and it got the same mpg as my old truck. I sold the mini van lol.. If I hear or see anything local I will let you know though. :)
***** I sit corrected.. its NOT an impact fee but they will charge $225 for you to get a new tag no matter where the vehicle comes from. *** If you have a tag you can transfer then that fee is waived. called DMV and asked.

I bought the 08 civic with 90k for 8900...best I could do around here. came from ohio..serviced here and there so it was a snowbird by tracking it with the carfax dates...hopefully it will take care of us

Latest posts