who cummutes

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
looking for another commuter car to wear out

hate shopping for cars..

gotta have at least 35 mpg so its a tdi/civic/corolla/mazda3

any exp with any of them

probly be a cpl yr old one but less than 50 k hopefully. i do bout 20k a yr/40 mi ea way

I commute 2 1/2 miles a day to work but, I friend of mine has a diesel VW, jetta maybe, says he gets around 50mpgs and loves the car.

I used to have a Honda Civic. Loved it. Bought used for $3200 and I sold it for $1600 a few years later after I added 120,000 miles on it. Great vehicle. Excellent mileage. Dependable. Only had a small problem with it once.

My youngest boy love Volkswagen and I was going to buy him a diesel but my mechanic talked me out of it. Apparently not everyone can work on them. Good vehicles till something breaks. Parts and tools are not what everyone has to work on them. Or so he said.

I compute 100 plus miles each way for work, but try to schedule it to where I only do it once every 2 weeks. Though sometimes it is every week. I stay with family for 3-4 days while there.
I need space because of hauling teaching supplies and my dog around with me. So I had a Kia Sportage. Put a lot of miles on it with never a problem.
Now I am driving a Toyota Sequoia with a V-8. Terrible gas mileage but I needed comfort. My back was killing me!

i have a 01 jetta now..230k on it....i put on 150 of it or so...love the car..mileage sucks..quirky..difficult to work on..expensive if you cant fix it but they all are now.
need 35 mpg at least so theres only a cpl to pick from..
i need some real world comments from someone who spends an hr a day 6 days a week in a car to tell me the good and bad to help me decide. and of the above are n the running i guess..

v-8......nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooo way..need 40 mpg...not 14..and im gonna run it til its junk so i need inexpensive...the nissan is rated well but its ugly as an old pig

Hubby used to commute 100 miles a day, for over 20 years. He always ran the wheels off the cheapest thing he could stand to drive, buy another one, repeat. One of his commuter cars was a Geo, it got 40 mpg but it about got him killed, too. One of his favorites was a 1990-ish Coupe de Ville. It had been wrecked in the front so he only paid $500 for it. Put on a salvaged hood and fender that were almost the same color, straightened it up redneck style with a chain around a light pole, and drove it pretty much trouble free for several years. The carpool guys loved it, the back seat was a big ol couch. We even drove it down to Springfield for Rock n Ribs, it was such a comfy ride even if it was kind of embarrassing to be seen getting out of it. Some of the electronic stuff went goofy so he sold it for more than he paid for it, and bought a '98 Explorer off craigslist. The money from the caddy, our aluminum cans, and some rolled up change bought that Explorer. He doesn't commute any more but we still have it and wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long road trip. It's probably still worth more than we paid for it. The moral to all this is - what it costs to buy, will trump what it costs to drive, just about every time.

He was on a roll until he bought a $200 Expedition. It was supposed to be a quick flip but.....that's another thread.

I do 85 miles a day 5-6 days a week in an escape averaging 22, but if I had my pick I would have a focus. I drive my MIL's focus anytime she needs my car to haul something. I average 40mpg and it is comfortable enough.

Cousin of mine still works and commutes refuses to retire has enough money to burn a wet mule.
The tight wad bought some kind of VW diesel says he gets right at 50 miles to gallon.
Wife's Chevy Equinox knocks back 35 to 37 on the hwy.

I could live with 35...mpg is almost more important than what kind of car it is...I hate to buy a car..just to run it til it isn't worth changing the oil in it. the jetta is a great car but needs more than I want to mess with. some stuff I cant fix..and there isn't much I cant fix.
htr cores done/converter slipping/windshield broken/back doors wont open from inside/locks work sometimes/keyfobs never/forget rolling the windows down..they don't go back up
I am interested in those kid of things also..when asking how ya like yer commute...cuz those things are gonna make this car go away.
need 4 doors/decent back seat..gage isn't gonna be a little boy too much longer/and a fair trunk to haul homw feed/mineral blocks/grocerys..the daily crap ya got have on your way home 35 mi outta town

The wife's carries four adults comfortably one of things I really like is the sliding backseat.
She routinely picks up four or five sacks of cubes when she goes to town.
I like it when we go to see the kids rides higher than a car and has butt high seats.
You don't have to fall in and out of it like her old Impala.

Jogeephus":2orjn5d4 said:
I used to have a Honda Civic. Loved it. Bought used for $3200 and I sold it for $1600 a few years later after I added 120,000 miles on it. Great vehicle. Excellent mileage. Dependable. Only had a small problem with it once.

My sister has a Civic and loves it. I think a Civic is as bulletproof as they come if you take decent care of it.

John SD":3kffezwm said:
Jogeephus":3kffezwm said:

My sister has a Civic and loves it. I think a Civic is as bulletproof as they come if you take decent care of it.

The civic will literally fall apart before the motor quits, one son is driving a '98, next son drives a '99. Smooth easy drivers.

I commute. I find it more convenient since parking the car during rush hour is a real battle for me.

I drive 45 miles one way to work . I had planned on getting a small car but after seeing a Honda civic that got hit by a log truck . Ill pay the extra and drive a pickup . The hwy I travel is 2 lane without a shoulder for about 15 miles. Speed limit is 75. I've had to get over in the grass on several occasions because of people looking at their phones. My father in law has a Pontiac vibe he drives. He loaned it to me just to see if I'd like it but the road noise is so bad you need ear plugs . The majority of my commute is for work . I prefer to be comfortable. With that said . My mom had a Honda civic thats got almost 300 k miles on it . Never had a problem with it .

JSCATTLE":368wwbxe said:
I drive 45 miles one way to work . I had planned on getting a small car but after seeing a Honda civic that got hit by a log truck . Ill pay the extra and drive a pickup . The hwy I travel is 2 lane without a shoulder for about 15 miles. Speed limit is 75. I've had to get over in the grass on several occasions because of people looking at their phones. My father in law has a Pontiac vibe he drives. He loaned it to me just to see if I'd like it but the road noise is so bad you need ear plugs . The majority of my commute is for work . I prefer to be comfortable. With that said . My mom had a Honda civic thats got almost 300 k miles on it . Never had a problem with it .

With a wreck involving a log truck a pickup is not going to fair any better. It just might be a little easier for the EMTs to find all your parts if you are in a pickup.

Latest posts