Who cares about your opinion!

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Hillsdown thread prompted this....

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The top U.S. military officer, Marine Gen. Peter Pace, doesn't plan to apologize for telling a newspaper that homosexuality is immoral, his senior staff told CNN on Tuesday.
Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Chicago Tribune on Monday that he supports the "don't ask, don't tell" policy banning openly gay people from serving in the U.S. armed forces.
The general also compared homosexuality to adultery -- behavior that is prosecuted in the military, he said.
"My upbringing is such that I believe that there are certain things, certain types of conduct that are immoral," Pace told the Tribune. "I believe that military members who sleep with other military members' wives are immoral in their conduct."
Pace also told the paper, "I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral, and that we should not condone immoral acts.
"So the 'don't ask, don't tell' [policy] allows an individual to serve the country ... if we know about immoral acts, regardless of committed by who, then we have a responsibility.
"I do not believe that the armed forces are well served by saying through our policies that it's OK to be immoral in any way, not just with regards to homosexual acts," the Joint Chiefs chairman said.
"So from that standpoint, saying that gays should serve openly in the military to me says that we, by policy, would be condoning what I believe is immoral activity," he added.
Advocacy group: Pace should apologize
The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, a nonprofit group that represents military personnel affected by the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, demanded Tuesday that Pace apologize for his remarks.
"Gen. Pace's comments are outrageous, insensitive and disrespectful to the 65,000 lesbian and gay troops now serving in our armed forces," said C. Dixon Osburn, the group's executive director. "Our men and women in uniform make tremendous sacrifices for our country, and deserve Gen. Pace's praise, not his condemnation."
The statement added, "It is inappropriate for the chairman to condemn those who serve our country because of his own personal bias. He should immediately apologize for his remarks."
Asked if Pace would apologize, his senior staff members said the general stands by his statements as an expression of his personal opinion, and he has no intention of apologizing.
President Clinton signed the "don't ask, don't tell" policy into law in 1994. The military has supported the policy, citing its belief that homosexuality is detrimental to good order and discipline in the armed forces.

I care about your opinions... I may not agree with them though...
What I do not care for are those that would chastise a person for their nationality or where they live in lieu of taking on the issue at hand... Going head to head on the real meat of the thread.
To say that I am offended by Hillsdown's opinion may be one thing, but to criticize him/her for being Canadian is another, off the subject, and totally inappropriate on this or any other forum, in my opinion. Maybe we can compound this and demand an apology from Hillsdown? I think not...

Since when did people in this country have to apologize for their opinion? I don't like most of the things that come out of Hillary Clintons pie hole but I don't ask her to apologize for it. I'm sick of people wanting an apology at the drop of a hat. All these special interest groups and politicians always asking for an apology over words. Its ridiculous.

Walt

Whether someone agrees or not, the truth is always better. How can you sort folks out of they lie about the way they feel about issues?

chrisy":11zedevi said:
Apology from Hillsdown? I think not........Why not?
Well Chrisy... The main reason, according to Chuck Lewis (That be me), is that Hillsdown is entitled to his opinion!
Heaven knows that I have made a few outlandish statements in my life... And, believe it or not, there were a few people out there that didn't seem to appreciate these statements like I did...
Some of them I apologized for, if I wanted to or felt the need... Others I am sure that I will maintain my stand on the subjects until the day I die... But for someone to demand an apology from me?
I would have to apply the lessons learned recently from Caustic Burno's class in Sensitivity Training 101... :D

Just Curious, I may not always agree with everything you say, but I do appreciate the way you say it. One thing I always do, however, is read what you have to say, and I think about it.

You're alright!

Alice

Alice":2djg7hir said:
Just Curious, I may not always agree with everything you say, but I do appreciate the way you say it. One thing I always do, however, is read what you have to say, and I think about it.

You're alright!

Alice

Why thank you Alice... (Blush...)

Just Curious":2hk1jc9u said:
chrisy":2hk1jc9u said:
Apology from Hillsdown? I think not........Why not?
Well Chrisy... The main reason, according to Chuck Lewis (That be me), is that Hillsdown is entitled to his opinion!
Heaven knows that I have made a few outlandish statements in my life... And, believe it or not, there were a few people out there that didn't seem to appreciate these statements like I did...
Some of them I apologized for, if I wanted to or felt the need... Others I am sure that I will maintain my stand on the subjects until the day I die... But for someone to demand an apology from me?
I would have to apply the lessons learned recently from Caustic Burno's class in Sensitivity Training 101... :D

OK! get your point...each to his own, and never the twain shall meet... ;-)

Latest posts