Whitfield Tree Planter

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1020313.jpg

How does that work? Does someone ride back there and feed the trees to the planter?

That is correct Fred:
P1020321.jpg

P1020323.jpg

That's John sitting back there putting seedlings in the chain while I drive the tractor. They're spaced 6ft apart. Rows are 10-12ft. apart.

Jogeephus":wlq4knmk said:
Those things are virtually indestructable. Best planter made. IMHO
:D Yep, they're plenty tough. I probably should get a new colter disc before next planting season though. It's getting pretty ragged, not from jumping stumps so much as it was dinged up from running over concrete slabs a couple of years back when we were planting around some torn down chicken houses.

The coulter discs are very pricey. I noticed your's had that rippled look idicating a new one was in its future. Have you found a cheaper source of the discs. Apparantly JW made them unique so its hard to find them without going back to him.

No, haven't found another source. Ordered some new pads(it takes 6) over the phone from Carrollton and they were $19 each. Was afraid to ask what the disc cost. I wonder if a good welder could build it back up?

I don't think building it up would help. Its the overall thickness of the coulter is the problem. If you are not careful, it will tear up your bearing. I bought a pile of the coulters three years ago. Company wanted nearly $600 apiece. I found a guy who made some for me and he charged $275. Haven't figured out how to do the pads though. I think I know how to make them but I haven't been able to locate the correct foam. Got a fella looking into this for me. If anyone can figure this out he can. $19 is a bit pricey. If you wrap the pad in duct tape, it will last much much longer. BTW, if you are interested, I can dig up this fellas phone number for you. It might mean a drive, but I imagine you could save around $300 on each coulter.

Latest posts