Skid Steer Tree Shear

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":3f4et2hc said:
ga.prime":3f4et2hc said:
JMJ Farms":3f4et2hc said:
Anybody got one? Used one? Reccomendations? Pros? Cons? Best brand?
I've got one you can borrow. Fits a Case 1845.

That's mighty generous and I appreciate it. May take you up on it but I'd be glad to rent it. I have limited experience with skid steers. I assume it will only fit a Case 1845?
I don't know if it'll fit any others or not, the 1845 is the only skid steer I've used. You can come look and see if it'll fit yours. It's heavy duty, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't put any wear on it if you used it.

I bought heavy duty stump bucket for my skidsteer to do what you are doing. I am glad I did. It is far easier on my my skidsteer than my tree puller. You can easily flip small trees out of the ground and also quickly dig bigger trees up. Cost $900 on ebay. I can do a lot with it and am happy I bought it.

Dcantrell":3n8450mz said:
I bought heavy duty stump bucket for my skidsteer to do what you are doing. I am glad I did. It is far easier on my my skidsteer than my tree puller. You can easily flip small trees out of the ground and also quickly dig bigger trees up. Cost $900 on ebay. I can do a lot with it and am happy I bought it.

welcome
I seen them a few days ago on line and was wondering how well they would work. Thought they might do well if the trees are not to thick

If you get one, buy the heavy duty. Mine is a Blue Diamond. I got it to dig out some stumps on some new land. I have used tree shears and a puller quiet a bit in the past. I wish I would have bought this first. Lots cheaper and I can do more with it. It's not limited to small stuff only. I have popped the roots and pushed over some pretty good sized oak trees. Cedars and hackberries and some junk trees are pretty easy. It is sure worth considering if you want to clean up your farm. I dig a bunch up and go back with a grapple.

Cross-7":zsp1zy1c said:
Skid steer mulcher
Before and after

yep looks good , but cost a lot of money to buy one and you still have a snag like you do with a sheer. I do not like leaving a snag , even when sheared off level with ground. I take more out with my dozer .tilt the blade and catch them with the corner and it takes a pretty big cedar to not be able to pop out like that. most of what I take out is red cedars and winged elm.

Cross-7 how long does it take for all the mulched wood to rot away?
I saw them clearing some right-aways with what looks like what you are showing and it left some fairly large mulch like 3'' around and maybe 16'' long. also saw several cedars that it would lay them down and take all the branches off but leave the trunk . this was trees maybe 3'' in dia. in soft ground.

BRYANT":1m2nv94e said:
Cross-7 how long does it take for all the mulched wood to rot away?
I saw them clearing some right-aways with what looks like what you are showing and it left some fairly large mulch like 3'' around and maybe 16'' long. also saw several cedars that it would lay them down and take all the branches off but leave the trunk . this was trees maybe 3'' in dia. in soft ground.

Depends if it is wet or dry. In wet years it breaks down in less than a year. You will have grass back in a month or so. If its dry, then that stuff can sit and harden. Its still not that bad but its slower. Obviously the density of the mulch will effect how much mulch there is. If there are trees you can get pretty decent chunks. If its mostly brush its all small. Also the type of wood will effect how fast it breaks down also.

We use mulchers at work pretty much exclusively for clearing trees and brush. We have had them at our places also. Its my preferred method for opening up pasture. Like others have said there is no mess or clean up. We mulch it and start spraying annually. Let the stumps rot where they are.

If you have hogs, they will root up every inch of the mulched ground at first. There are so many grubs and stuff in the mulch they cant resist. :)

The little mulchers on skid steers are pretty good for small jobs and the cost is more reasonable per hour. If you get the big mulchers out it needs to be a pretty good job. Its almost a grand to truck them in and out and they are several hundred dollars per hour... but they can cover a lot of ground.

When we mulch small oaks or mesquite you can pick up trailer loads of perfect size burn pit or bbq pit size wood. Nothing smells better than a freshly mulched mesquite field. :)

Latest posts