Whitening Shampoo That Really Works?

Help Support CattleToday:

allisonr

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good whitening/stain removing shampoo that works? Or am I looking for unicorns here? For a smoke heifer that has some bad stains on her knees and flank. We've used Sullivan's Bright Lights and are currently using Vetrolin White n Bright. I prefer the Vetrolin to the Sullivan's as it foams up better and seems to spread out more while the Sullivan's just seemed to sit wherever I placed it and didn't "soap up" as I would like it. The soaps get her clean and remove a lot, but just don't seem to really truly get her back to the light smoke color that she is everywhere else. Also I was browsing Sullivan's website and saw their Stain Buster bluing shampoo. Anyone tried it? We're running a show tomorrow and a vendor will be there so I can pick up a bottle up to try. Thanks!

I've used quick silver on a gray horse or two. Seemed to work for me. I've heard of, but not used Tide detergent on stubborn stains, on horses.

We used to use dawn dish soap on dairy heifers... If you have any kind of hair that you want to save I wouldn't recommend it though!

I think it's called Mrs Stewarts Liquid Bluing, hard to find, not many stores carry it but it will really bleach/ whiten hair !. Might try googling it.

coachg":x0ugwr0u said:
I think it's called Mrs Stewarts Liquid Bluing, hard to find, not many stores carry it but it will really bleach/ whiten hair !. Might try googling it.

Use to use that on our white pigs. If you don't use it correctly you can expect some blue hair.

Thanks everyone! Steerplanet recommended Mrs. Stewart's as well.
& thanks for the precaution slick, do you have a recommended ratio? Also we aren't showing her until fair next August (just trying to keep the stains at bay though) so we have plenty of time for trial and error!

That's been a while ago and I don't remember that we actually measured. Seems like the water was pretty blue tho and we would pour it on for a minute then rinse. Repeat the process a couple or so times.

Don't forget to mix in conditioner with whatever you use. If it is strong enough to strip out the stains, it will also strip out whatever natural oil the hair had as well. This far out, you could probably get away with some purple whitening shampoo and a general conditioner follow up. Closer to show, give the stains a blueing treatment and a conditioning with show stock supply conditioner. It is worth the extra money.
FWIW...the best product we ever found for daily use on smokes was purple shampoo from the salon. We had a family friend who was a hairdresser, so we got it cheap. Kept the hair healthy and a nice silver color.