White Pine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
Had some white pine trees blow over a few years back. Had them sawed into 2x6 and 2x8 planks and have stored them in barn since then. I am currently building an alley way leading from sweep and squeeze chute to area where cattle trailer will be spotted for loading (about 75 feet). How long can I expect these pine boards to last as sides to the alley if left untreated ? Would paint or a water sealer of some type be needed? Thanks.

Around here they might last a year. With the rain and bugs, it's not long before the mail holes rot out and stuff falls apart. You might get longer out of yours. But they'd be better used under cover and use pt for the alleyway. Or get yours treated

I wouldnt expect them to last too long unless you painted them or sealed them. Even then, they are gonna rot faster than cedar, oak, redwood, etc.

I'm using these at a place I have rented and will unlikely have for over 5 years. Don't want to invest a
lot of money, already have the pine. I have access to waste oil which I can apply to these boards which may allow them to last a while longer.

Soak them with diesel . I have patches in my pens that are yellow pine . Old form boards . Been there 3 years so far . I spray them every year .

Thanks all. I'm going to give it a go with these pine boards. I really don't have another use for them anyway. I'll just keep them soaked with the waste oil I have available to me for free. I'm putting pressure treated posts in and will slap a little oil on them while I'm at it.

I use used oil keeps the bugs off and holds off the rot for a few years . If it's on the ground you might get 5 years . You gotta get rid of it anyway.

Rot is not what you need to worry about. The white pine is nothing like the yellow pine when it comes to strength. The cows will bust every plank they put pressure against. Dont waste your time.

Latest posts