White Eyes/Spreading blindness?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well hello everyone...I am not sure how to write this without sounding stupid but, is blindness contageous somehow? Some kind of disease or virus that can cause blindness? We have 8 calves but have also rented our pasture to another gentleman who has put several calves/cows out there. One calf who is with his mother came to us "blind" in one eye (They have been here approx. 1 month now). Yesterday when I was tending to my calves and they are very friendly almost to the point of being obnoxious; and it hurts when they step on my toes! Anyway the reason I tell you that is because they looked perfectly fine. All of them. Today there were 3 calves with an eye that was completely white you couldn't miss it. It's rather creepy looking. I am sure they must be blind in that eye now, but how? And it seems to be spreading. I have quarantined my calves from this other mans but I have no way of keeping them quarantined from eachother. It appears to be spreading. Could this "blind" calf have brought some kind of virus or bacteria with him? What ever it is it seems to be spreading quickly. I sure hope someone out there can help me... I don't have any idea what has happened here. Thanks Christina

[email protected]

Get your vet involved asap, could be just run of the mill pinkeye, IBR, or something else completely. If IBR or pikeye the vet can clear it up quickly, once he/it/she determines what it is.

dunmovin farms

> Well hello everyone...I am not
> sure how to write this without
> sounding stupid but, is blindness
> contageous somehow? Some kind of
> disease or virus that can cause
> blindness? We have 8 calves but
> have also rented our pasture to
> another gentleman who has put
> several calves/cows out there. One
> calf who is with his mother came
> to us "blind" in one eye
> (They have been here approx. 1
> month now). Yesterday when I was
> tending to my calves and they are
> very friendly almost to the point
> of being obnoxious; and it hurts
> when they step on my toes! Anyway
> the reason I tell you that is
> because they looked perfectly
> fine. All of them. Today there
> were 3 calves with an eye that was
> completely white you couldn't miss
> it. It's rather creepy looking. I
> am sure they must be blind in that
> eye now, but how? And it seems to
> be spreading. I have quarantined
> my calves from this other mans but
> I have no way of keeping them
> quarantined from eachother. It
> appears to be spreading. Could
> this "blind" calf have
> brought some kind of virus or
> bacteria with him? What ever it is
> it seems to be spreading quickly.
> I sure hope someone out there can
> help me... I don't have any idea
> what has happened here. Thanks
> Christina

Moraxella bovis....contagious conjunctivitis which can lead to blindness. Treat with antibiotics. Check google.com, look up name of bacteria. V

Latest posts