• Knowledge

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Power

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
greybeard":4erdhqj3 said:
Caustic Burno":4erdhqj3 said:
Girl I aint sticking my foot in that trap.
A wise man, with wisdom gained via knowledge.
Wise for sure ;-)

Jogeephus":4erdhqj3 said:
This would imply that you care what others think about you and I don't.
I respected your comments earlier on in the thread and am most certainly not implying anything, merely said I believe it is more difficult to gain respect(knowing human nature to an extent) than knowledge. What is your take on that?

I cut to the chase and voted for "Sex". After all, that's the only reason a man wants knowledge, power or respect. :cowboy:

I think you are right but why concern yourself over how someone views you or respects you? To me, this can lead to the temptation for you to become someone you are not. To compromise your principles and values for the sake of gaining someone's respect. To live a lie. You are who you are no matter what and if people cannot see the real you and respect you for being you then it is their loss and not yours. Also, like Alice said, "I am not the same person I was yesterday", so its wasted effort and just one of life's strings that shackles too many people.

As for respecting your rights and your personal safety, I have a gun, a knife, a sharp pencil and a ball bat.

Isomade":3mcvwbwz said:
I cut to the chase and voted for "Sex". After all, that's the only reason a man wants knowledge, power or respect. :cowboy:

This would explain why someone would want to get into politics. To screw the masses so to speak.

Jo, you make a couple of valid points but you must know that the majority of humans seek approval from others from a young age. Let's not get 'approval' and 'respect' mixed up.

Jogeephus":14wq2awz said:
You are who you are no matter what and if people cannot see the real you and respect you for being you then it is their loss and not yours.
You said it so well, respect me for who I am, I'm not about to compromise my principles or values to gain respect. Respect will automatically come to that person that is a 'good' person, they do not have to seek it out.

alisonb":1zknrhxa said:
Jo, you make a couple of valid points but you must know that the majority of humans seek approval from others from a young age. Let's not get 'approval' and 'respect' mixed up.

I agree they do but why? I think seeking approval from one's maker and family is one thing but to seek it from society is wasted effort if not detrimental to your inner being.

alisonb":1zknrhxa said:
You said it so well, respect me for who I am, I'm not about to compromise my principles or values to gain respect. Respect will automatically come to that person that is a 'good' person, they do not have to seek it out.

I have to disagree with this cause history has shown many people who have remained true to themselves and their beliefs are often ridiculed if not put to death for maintaining their sense of self and their beliefs. Jesus comes to mind but in more recent times these modern day nonconformists urged caution and financial prudence when this country steamed toward the abyss of political correctness and economic ruin. These nonconformists were labeled heartless souls when, on the contrary, it was their love for humanity and their country that spurred these words of caution. These people differ from the masses because they have a belief in people and know people have a choice to either be a victim of society or an asset because they are well aware that they are no different than the next man.

But you are right in that you will gain respect from those that truly matter. As for society, they can think what they wish.

Jogeephus":2udermks said:
I have to disagree with this cause history has shown many people who have remained true to themselves and their beliefs are often ridiculed if not put to death for maintaining their sense of self and their beliefs. Jesus comes to mind but in more recent times these modern day nonconformists urged caution and financial prudence when this country steamed toward the abyss of political correctness and economic ruin. These nonconformists were labeled heartless souls when, on the contrary, it was their love for humanity and their country that spurred these words of caution. These people differ from the masses because they have a belief in people and know people have a choice to either be a victim of society or an asset because they are well aware that they are no different than the next man.
Many of those people you refer to were perhaps not respected at the time but they made history and are now respected for the decisions they made. You mentioned Jesus, well he's just got to be the perfect example of the most respected individual to walk this planet, not because he tried to please others but because he stayed true to what he believed in.

It's been an interesting discussion :D

Latest posts