Which grass to plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
I have read every ounce of literature, I have spoken to many friends and neighbors and still can't decide between tifton 85, coastal or jiggs. I have seen separate fields with all three planted years apart. Some established some just getting there. Heard great benefits of all three. And still have questions un answered.
To begin I am located in North Texas, my soil is what everyone calls black gumbo soil and ph is about 7.3. Neighbor has tifton on about 20 acres of the same soil and it seems that it will take about 3 years from planting to completly establish. Only jiggs I've seen was on red clay soil and it was thick and supposibly establish very fast. And the coastal fields I've seen look like my common bermuda.

A question about tifton is when you cut to bale how much leaf actually stays on the stem? being that The stem is so thick it seem like by the time it drys the leaves would fall off.
Also which requires less fertilizer?
Tifton is what I'm leaning to, I just can't make up my mind.
Any input is welcome? And if you read the whole post thank you for your time!

I belIeve the Jiggs would do better than Coastal in your tight soil. I'm not familiar with Tifton. Have you considered something other than bermuda grass? Kleingrass does well in clay, although it's only recommended for cattle. I have a field of it that my father planted probably 30 years ago and it's still going strong. And it hasn't had a pound of fertilizer since 2011.

Which grass you plant depends on what you intend to do with it. If grazing is going to be a large part of your program, I would plant Tifton 85 because of higher digestibility and animal performance. If you are going to strictly raise hay and sell it, then Jiggs may be your best option. It is finer stemmed and spreads fast. It does not have the digestibility of Tifton or Coastal but does look good in a bale.

BC":3mrwug3f said:
Which grass you plant depends on what you intend to do with it. If grazing is going to be a large part of your program, I would plant Tifton 85 because of higher digestibility and animal performance. If you are going to strictly raise hay and sell it, then Jiggs may be your best option. It is finer stemmed and spreads fast. It does not have the digestibility of Tifton or Coastal but does look good in a bale.

What he said. Digestibility is key. Forget about the big stem on T85 - it means nothing other than longer drying time and has nothing to do with digestibility. If it were me and I was going to use the hay for my own animals I'd go with T85 but if I were selling it I'd plant something that would dry faster and had a smaller stem because most people equate large stems with poor hay and this isn't true in this case. In fact, people should pay 20% extra for T85 hay when all things are equal.

Thanks for the responses. I plan on baling it, but feed it to my own stock. If all goes well I will plant almost all my land in it and let them graze some and bale the rest.
Rafter, I planted some dahl a few years back with no success. I am all for native grasses and my field was full of it last year. This year i don't know if too much rain hurt my summer grass or the lack of rain did it, but I have huge bare spots in my field. Only thing growing is common bermuda.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either Jiggs or Tifton 85. Both do well given a couple inches of rain. Both can even weather through July to September without rain as long as it is already established.

I always heard Dahl does best south of I-30. I have some--it doesn't like sitting under water for a week straight. Jiggs don't care tho.

jrn28":2aaegkke said:
I have read every ounce of literature, I have spoken to many friends and neighbors and still can't decide between tifton 85, coastal or jiggs. I have seen separate fields with all three planted years apart. Some established some just getting there. Heard great benefits of all three. And still have questions un answered.
To begin I am located in North Texas, my soil is what everyone calls black gumbo soil and ph is about 7.3. Neighbor has tifton on about 20 acres of the same soil and it seems that it will take about 3 years from planting to completly establish. Only jiggs I've seen was on red clay soil and it was thick and supposibly establish very fast. And the coastal fields I've seen look like my common bermuda.

A question about tifton is when you cut to bale how much leaf actually stays on the stem? being that The stem is so thick it seem like by the time it drys the leaves would fall off.
Also which requires less fertilizer?
Tifton is what I'm leaning to, I just can't make up my mind.
Any input is welcome? And if you read the whole post thank you for your time!

What are in the other pastures around you?
You can bet your neighbors are growing what does best in the area.
Before I spent a fortune in grass as I have on this journey I would talk with the people around me.
Took awhile to sink in my hammerhead you can't fight Ma Nature.

I would only plant enough T85 to satisfy my hay needs unless you want to get in the hay business. I love the stuff but I surely wouldn't want my whole place planted in it.

Latest posts