Where's my Xmas bonus?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Let's say you have worked at the same job for a few years and have received a Xmas bonus every year. Do you feel that bonus is required every year? Do you count on that extra money for Xmas or whatever every year? How upset would you get if it just quit coming without much notice?

There's more to the questions, but I'll leave it here for now.
Alan

If I had gotten a bonus for a few years than yes I would expect it to continue and I would likely count on getting that extra money. Conversely, since I've never gotten a Christmas bonus I will continue to expect no bonus. It would be kind of nice though! On second thought it would probably ruin my carefully balanced budget and I'd end up paying more income tax since I would only have one week left in the year to spend it. :D

I would take the financial stability of the company into account, how large a company I work for , It may be they are fincancial straped and on the verge of bankruptcy.

It depends on how the company is doing. I have learned not to expect anything. It makes me happier when something good does happen.

Alan":3s29me20 said:
Let's say you have worked at the same job for a few years and have received a Xmas bonus every year. Do you feel that bonus is required every year? Do you count on that extra money for Xmas or whatever every year? How upset would you get if it just quit coming without much notice?

There's more to the questions, but I'll leave it here for now.
Alan

In our case, the company reduced merit raises and started giving bonuses based on incentives. They raise the bar every year. The real issue is, increases are no longer accumulative. A person can actually make much less money this year than what he/she made ten years back. Someone can make a significant personnel error and it cost me thousands.

I'd rather had the company maintain the old methodology of giving raises to significant contributors to the bottom line.

I'm with Nova. Never had a Christmas bonus so can't honestly answer the question. I figure most folks that are accustomed to getting them probably count on them from Jan1 til Christmas of that year and probably already have it spent. I know a few folks that get them most years and they're all based on performance. Not a cut and dried thing and they never know how much it will be. I did get a turkey from a client one year and a bottle of good whiskey from another...both the same year. :mrgreen:

Bonuses are just that.
It's tough if you have always gotten a bonus and now you won't, but I'm a farmer and I have drought years and locusts and etc. My bonus is that if I'm on the plus side at the end of the tax year I get to buy tools (toys).
If you aren't getting an expected bonus my question is did the company make money or did the boss add a trophy wife?
If the company lost $, you pretty much have to suck it up. Employees don't have much leverage when the company is losing money. If the bosses expenses suddenly went way up, I'd be mad as that.

Working for the government it is not pollitically or financially correct to give a Christmas bonus so I don't get one there. We got a small one earlier instead of a raise for the last three years.
Got a $25 gift certificate for Outback steakhouse from one of the stockyards I buy from. GOOOOD bonus.

I always figured a bonus was a gift of appreciation. And not to be depended on as part of your pay.

Cal

My employer gives nothing for Christmas, not even a card. They have a incentive program that is totally based on performance and is paid out about March. They also have a sales lead program that is paid quarterly but you got to jump thru hoops to get paid.

Our boss gives Christmas bonuses and while you do come to expect it when it happens year after year, it is still very much appreciated and everyone who works there understands it is a generous gift, not an entitlement. I am one of the lucky few who has a good boss and all good people to work with, I think. This year however was not a good year for the company and I will not be surprised if the bonus doesn't come. But I understand and didn't budget for getting it. And, things are already looking up for business next year.

Having worked places that gave bonuses, which in some years were pritty good and others not so good, I know how someone can become dependant on them. I have employees and have always felt that if I hired someone, that person and his or her family is depending on me. I give bonuses at the end of the year, and I consider it a gift. When figuring the bonus, I usually start out with a set figure for each and add to that based on profits and how valuable that employee is to me and my survival.

I know what it takes to raise a family, and its pritty tough on a meager income. This has been a really tough year, profit wise, and I can't do what I've done in years past. Even though it probably shouldn't, it really bothers me more than they will ever know.

Having alot of friends that also have employees, I have ask them how they handle bonuses. Most are in farming and some don't give anything. The best solution I have heard is one guy said that he has a field that he plants every year and divides the acres up between the employees. They all know that is the bonus field. When the crop is harvested he gets an average yield per acre and gives that to his employees. He told me the other day, that since there was a drought this year, it didn't do good at all, but every employee had to drive by that field everyday, all year long, so they pritty much knew they weren't going to get much of a bonus. I just wish it were that easy for me, and next year I'm going to find some way to do something similar.

kenny thomas":2q89hwl4 said:
Working for the government it is not pollitically or financially correct to give a Christmas bonus so I don't get one there. We got a small one earlier instead of a raise for the last three years.
Got a $25 gift certificate for Outback steakhouse from one of the stockyards I buy from. GOOOOD bonus.

Hello. That is interesting. Who do you work for? The way you present your self here I would not have thought you
were a Govt employee......Peace.

As a person with employees I do think that if a company has a pattern of paying "bonuses" at a particular time of year for a number of years, it is natural that employees would logically expect that tradition to continue. And perhaps tp plan their own spending on the bonus recurring.

If for some reason the pattern of bonuses is not continued I believe the company managers have a responsibility to let their employees know as soon as possible and have a reasonable explanation of why. This is just treating employees as we would like to be treated ourselves.

If managers do NOT take the time to explain the situation and change from the expected established pattern, there is a real risk of the the lack of a bonus being not just a disappointment but turning into a DE-motivator.

I think employees have a reasonable right to an explanation if a pattern of Holiday bonuses is not continued. jmho.

Jim

The company I work for is big and we don't get "bonuses". We do get profit sharing and that rate is a percentage of your salary based on how well the company does for the year.

In years past we got a turkey or ham during the holidays but didn't get one this year. That gift to each employee represents a significant cost to the company but is pretty insignificant to the individuals. This year the company chose to make several hundred new vice presidents whose salaries are high 6 figure so it is unlikely that we will achieve our profit goals. No profit, no profit sharing - and no turkey or ham.

After working 50+ years for a salary I have learned to not expect anything to be given to me. Bonuses are not part of your agreed upon salaries so don't figure that into your budget and don't expect it. You will be disappointed if you do.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Kingfisher":2kupiopt said:
kenny thomas":2kupiopt said:

Hello. That is interesting. Who do you work for? The way you present your self here I would not have thought you
KT has always let it known that he was a gov't employee and I don't see how any of his posts would determine 1 way or the other

when I was in business my full time guys recieved a bonus or I should say the guys who worked for me for more than a yr as I had alot of guys in different trades that I hired for just whatever part of the job their trades was needed
but most of my dirt guys stayed yr in and yr out which was usually about 10 employees
I always based their bonuses on how many hrs they worked each yr

I based it on a dollar per hr per hrs worked
so if we the crew worked 1800 hrs pr yr and one guy only worked say 1500 his bonus was $1500

I had a couple of foremen that got more than that but the working guys that is how I based it
if the short timers (different trades) were working around the holidays I usually gave them a $25 or $50 gift card to Bass Pro or Cabelas

Kingfisher":34znrl43 said:
kenny thomas":34znrl43 said:

Government is not all waste and fraud, there are some very good people that work for government and Kenny is one of them.

Larry

My brother is a bean counter for the Defense Dept, i don't think he gets a bonus of any kind. From 1966 to 1969 i worked for a rural electric co-op. Each year we gathered in a meeting room and the manager ( known as the Great White Father) would call each employee to the front and present him with a envelope with your name on it, inside was a $1.00 bill, yep one buck. At least he was thinking of us , back then you could get a pack of cigs or a cold one for that. We were very appreciative. :nod:

Latest posts