Where's my Xmas bonus?

Help Support CattleToday:

kingfisher, I have been a wildland firefighter for 37 years working for the Virginia Department of Forestry for 27 of those years. I have been on fires almost all over the US. Spent a lot of time in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and North Carolina in the last few years on fires and hurricanes besides my normal duties here. Because of all the time and trips I have a lot of time off in the off season and trade a lot of cattle. Also keep 150 year round. Do it all without any help, only me.
Sorry if any of my posts gave you a bad impression.

dun":2w4nczc4 said:
For a lot of people today, having a job is a bonus

That's a fact.It aint like your company can't find your replacement.
Abd when you get to thinking you can't be replaced you most likely will be. :)

Cal

Calman":1tym0t6i said:
dun":1tym0t6i said:
For a lot of people today, having a job is a bonus

That's a fact.It aint like your company can't find your replacement.
Abd when you get to thinking you can't be replaced you most likely will be. :)

Cal

Lot's good and interesting thoughts on the "bonus" myth. It's easy to see folks are looking at it from both sides of the fence. My wife and I own a small business, a few years ago we had 9 full time employees and now after a few years of this economy we are down to 4.5 employees. We are a long ways from going bankrupt ..... I hope, but with the economic down turn (okay, it's more like the toilet got flushed), we quit giving Xmas bonuses a couple of years ago. As someone who writes the checks, I feel a bonus is just that, a bonus, not part of pay, it's extra, above and beyond pay. As an employer I would hope that my staff members are smart enough to know if I'm always reminding them much more then usual about wasting product, time or things that effect the bottom line. Plus seeing co-workers being laid off or not replaced if they quit, all combined should make it easy too see things are different. So when they are TOLD "no more bonuses until further notice", it shouldn't come as a big shock and cause one to blow a gasket. We did have a long time staff member "blow a gasket" and it started a short path to her being handed a pink slip, now she not only has no bonus but she has no job.

I guess I'm a bit upset she put me into this position instead of looking at the big picture beyond her own needs. Now our business helps support six families, not just us as the owners..... It's a Bonus not part of regular pay.

Merry Fu#¥*^ing Xmas,
Scrooge :santa: LOL

Alan if they could sit in your position a few times, look at the bills as they come in, look at the sales and HOPE you get paid etc etc etc maybe they'd be a bit more understanding. Your'e not alone. Very few business have been unaffected by the recession and I'm sure there are a lot of owners, CEOs and others having to make the same tuff decision you made. Hopefully those that stay around will appreciate the next bonus they get even more even tho it may be a few years down the road. At least you didn't cut their pay when profits went down.

Lots of good responses, and boils down to this:

A bonus is just a bonus - not required and should not be expected.

novaman":1mi97afp said:
If I had gotten a bonus for a few years than yes I would expect it to continue and I would likely count on getting that extra money. Conversely, since I've never gotten a Christmas bonus I will continue to expect no bonus. It would be kind of nice though! On second thought it would probably ruin my carefully balanced budget and I'd end up paying more income tax since I would only have one week left in the year to spend it. :D

Is your financial year the same as the calendar year?

Ours is from 1 July to 30 June.

Of course, in considering my response - Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase was on recently and it was the scene where the boss' wife and the boss were still in Chevy Chase's house with the police... the boss tells the wife that he didn't give anyone a Christmas bonus and she calls him a "cheap b*&%$#S"...

...and our company is not even giving out the jelly of the month club bonus that Chevy Chase got this year, but we all understand why

Alan, the fact you ran this thread and then posted how you feel bad about it being NECESSARY to stop the bonuses, demonstrates you are not a heartless boss exploiting your employees. Don't lose any sleep over it. The one employee who weeded herself out probably did you a favor. No loyalty or team spirit so unless she could spin straw into gold you're fine.

TexasBred":1zbs34r3 said:
if they could sit in your position a few times, look at the bills as they come in, look at the sales and HOPE you get paid etc etc etc maybe they'd be a bit more understanding.
There is a valid reason why those that gripe about bonuses are employees and don't run their own business, and you are wanting them to grasp the bigger picture? ;-) .

alisonb":3kf0g06u said:
There is a valid reason why those that gripe about bonuses are employees and don't run their own business, and you are wanting them to grasp the bigger picture? ;-) .

It reminds me of the bah humbug movie with the Ghosts of Christmas. The father didn't get his bonus so couldn't help his son on crutches, or something along those lines.

Latest posts