Where to find: Breed standard EPDS....

Help Support CattleToday:

Nope, almost have to go to each breed association so you can see what each of their EPDs really means

In addition to what Dun said, the associations update the EPD's every year, so the breed average is a moving target. That is not a bad thing, it just means you have to keep up.

Alomg these same lines can you compare one brreds EPDS to another breeds, for example I see Angus and Herfs all the time with a ww of 60 and YW of 101, what does that mean to a Beefmaster of ww 17 and YW 41. Ar we looking at apples and apples or apples and lemons.

My beefmasters wean @ around 600-650. in relation will a angus wean higher or lower? or the same? or it depends?

The EPD actual #'s are confusing, I get the ACC.

in reading that table does that mean the average Angus might wean @ lets say 575 then the average simm will be the epd lbs heavier,the average HERF 15 lighter??

thommoos":36pm9ylr said:
Alomg these same lines can you compare one brreds EPDS to another breeds, for example I see Angus and Herfs all the time with a ww of 60 and YW of 101, what does that mean to a Beefmaster of ww 17 and YW 41. Ar we looking at apples and apples or apples and lemons.

My beefmasters wean @ around 600-650. in relation will a angus wean higher or lower? or the same? or it depends?

The EPD actual #'s are confusing, I get the ACC.

You can google "across breed epd" and the find the adjustment table. The Angus association has it on their site as well.

Looks like 2012 is the most recent version. http://beefmagazine.com/selection-tools ... -epd-table

It is a good tool. Angus is the baseline, you just take their EPD as is and use the adjustment factor to compare another breed animal. There is an example in the text below the charts. Some assns. can do new EPD more than once a year, some every year, some every other year or so. However long it takes to collect enough new data to make it meaningful.

Latest posts