Where do you get a tri-tip?

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
Someone please tell me where the tri-tip comes from. I asked the meat department to show me on their chart just exactly where it is and not a one of them could do it. They have renamed so many cuts that I am lost on this one.

A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also is called "triangular" roast because of its shape.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/tri-tip.htm

Tri-Tip Location Tri-tip is a small roast cut from the bottom of the sirloin primal. There is only one tri-tip per side of beef, a total of two per animal.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

Just Google it

From what I have read, it comes from the bottom of the sirloin cut from the loin area of the carcuss. It is boneless and triangular. I think it is the same cut as the sirloin tip. The retail price of this cut went down $0.50/lb from last year and could be the reason to snazz up the cut with a new name.

Jogeephus":aqkl3ct5 said:
From what I have read, it comes from the bottom of the sirloin cut from the loin area of the carcuss. It is boneless and triangular. I think it is the same cut as the sirloin tip. The retail price of this cut went down $0.50/lb from last year and could be the reason to snazz up the cut with a new name.

I wish I could find it for half a buck. I buy it from the local market as bulk still in the vacuum pack. Just ovee their cost and it's about 38 bucks for about 9 pounds.

I believe the sam's clubs have it (pretty costly as I remember looking recently $6.99 lb or more) and the commissary carries it because it is so available on the west coast and the military wants it, the problem is they trim it to much here. It was very available in the Lemoore CA area and I remember them having sales on it for $1.49 lb...Lemoore area has a number of large dairy's that supplied the beef there.

Hope that helps. Donna

donnaIL":2oes5bz9 said:
I believe the sam's clubs have it (pretty costly as I remember looking recently $6.99 lb or more) and the commissary carries it because it is so available on the west coast and the military wants it, the problem is they trim it to much here. It was very available in the Lemoore CA area and I remember them having sales on it for $1.49 lb...Lemoore area has a number of large dairy's that supplied the beef there.

Hope that helps. Donna

In CA it seemed like it was availbel at all of the meat counters, but brisquet wasn;t. Here it's all brisquet and tri-tip is a special order.

dun":1hhow8vo said:
Jogeephus":1hhow8vo said:

I wish I could find it for half a buck. I buy it from the local market as bulk still in the vacuum pack. Just ovee their cost and it's about 38 bucks for about 9 pounds.

Dun, I wasn't saying it costs 50 cents/pound. Was looking at a meat cut chart and it showed that cut of beef went down 50 cents a pound from last year's prices. Was thinking maybe they are were remarketing the sirloin tip to tri-tip steak to boost sales of this cut.

Latest posts