Where do we go from here?

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Excerpt from:
Walter Prescott Webb President of the Association, 1957 Presidential address delivered at the annual dinner of the American Historical Association, the Mayflower Hotel, Washington, D.C., December 29, 1958. Published in American Historical Review 64:2 (January 1959): 265-80.

By the discoveries the sovereigns of Europe acquired tide to all the lands of the Great Frontier. Unable to use so much land, these sovereigns began dispersing it to the people, letting it sift down in townships, leagues, and quarter sections, eventually to small people.

This gigantic land dispersal went on constantly from 1600 to 1900, three booming centuries when wealth was moving vertically, from the sovereign downward to the people, making them economically independent and politically free. When the frontier closed, the sovereign had nothing more to give, and then he began the reverse process of taking, not from the frontier, but from some of the people in order to have something to give to others. In short, wealth began making a complete vertical circuit instead of flowing in one direction.

This vertical circulation today supplements the horizontal circulation so precious to free enterprisers and keeps it going. If this idea of the dual movement of wealth is true--and it seems obvious once it is pointed out--it should, I thought, have far-reaching implications for the study of modern economics.

http://www.historians.org/about-aha-and ... scott-webb

Walter Prescott Webb was a 20th-century U.S. historian and author noted for his groundbreaking historical work on the American West. As president of the Texas State Historical Association, he launched the project that produced the Handbook of Texas.
Born: April 3, 1888, Panola County, TX
Died: March 8, 1963, Austin, TX
Education: University of Texas at Austin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Prescott_Webb

Bit deep for my brain. Sounds like a smart fella for sure. I just know that if you don't purge a cow of worms and parasites then the cow will whither and eventually die no matter how hard it grazes or how good the grass is in front of it. It'll just die plain and simple. But its a slow death for sure. Cow will usually just lay down no matter how much prodding, stimulus or encouragement you give it. It'll just die. Gotta purge the parasites if you want a healthy herd.

greybeard":2q8n44ip said:
But, even after the host cow is dead, the parasites and worms will live on.
So it is also with a nation.
Only for a while unless another cow exists....

Jogeephus":36e5z5dd said:
Bit deep for my brain. Sounds like a smart fella for sure. I just know that if you don't purge a cow of worms and parasites then the cow will whither and eventually die no matter how hard it grazes or how good the grass is in front of it. It'll just die plain and simple. But its a slow death for sure. Cow will usually just lay down no matter how much prodding, stimulus or encouragement you give it. It'll just die. Gotta purge the parasites if you want a healthy herd.

I ani't byunig taht for not one sceond Joe.

Taht wihch is apaprent and ovibouis to waht you konw to be ture nedes lttile futrher exlapnaiton.
No maettr how it is siad.

Latest posts