Where can I find info on birth weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find an article or study on birth weights. I would like to know what the maximum lbs per % of cow weight they can have for BW's. I have seen it before but can't remember what it is for sure. I was thinking it is something like 8 or 9%. but not positive.

Cows will normally try to have a calf at 7% of their own weight.
Suprised we don't see more 100 lbs calves.

The only thing I've seen on a comparison of calf size and birthing had to do with pelvic measurement not the cows/heifers weight.

dun

BRG":2pwoc8zg said:
Anyone know where I can find an article or study on birth weights. I would like to know what the maximum lbs per % of cow weight they can have for BW's. I have seen it before but can't remember what it is for sure. I was thinking it is something like 8 or 9%. but not positive.

Your question prompted me to do an analysis on the birthweights of my calves. Since I started on the "Whole Herd Rewards" program in 1999, my calves birthweights have averaged 6.28% of the cows' weights.

The only thing that I can think of that would skew the data is when the cows are weighed. The program I am enrolled in requires that cows be weighed at weaning and is the only time they are weighed all year. For instance, if I weighed them shortly before calving (which is what you are referring to I'm sure) the % would probably be down around 5%. Just a guess.

I've read studies that have stated MAXIMUM birthweight could be anywhere between 8% and 10% of the cows dry weight, but definitely place NO stock in those numbers.

My long term average is 6.5% with 1 C-section in my lifetime, and an average of 1 pull/yr. At 10% of body weight, my girls would have been calving out 120 - 140 lb calves. If the calf had proper conformation, I suppose my older cows could do it, but thats alot of calf.

Rod

Latest posts