Where are the beef cattle in NY?

Help Support CattleToday:

PATB

Reaction score
I spent the better part of 2 days driving around the back roads of NY below I 90 and saw very little beef cattle. Where are all the beef operations located? Were are the equipment dealers located?

new york is not a real beef cattle state. never seen too many opreations there, but i think there are probably some around the finger lakes

PATB":1vxo7s6m said:
I spent the better part of 2 days driving around the back roads of NY below I 90 and saw very little beef cattle. Where are all the beef operations located? Were are the equipment dealers located?

Pat, you need to come over to Vermont.

Windsor County, in the south central part of the state, has the highest population of beef cattle, and tractor dealers--in New England.

Tell me what you are looking for and either myself or Steve the Chianina man will point you in the right direction.

I must of missed the cattle area of vermont in my travels. I traveled up rte 7 to rutland, rte 4 to white river junction. I take it that I was just south of where the cattle are. I was on the honeymoon and site seeing.

PATB":2j863ovu said:
I must of missed the cattle area of vermont in my travels. I traveled up rte 7 to rutland, rte 4 to white river junction. I take it that I was just south of where the cattle are. I was on the honeymoon and site seeing.

You were just a bit north of "where the beef is."
91 south from White River would of got you into the general area.

Rt 7 is Dairy land and beautiful.

Hope you had a wonderful honeymoon adventure.

If you ever come this way again let me know and I can meet you and give you a tour of some pristine mountain view beef farms.

What kind of cattle do you presently have ?

Beef cattle are spread all ove the state. NY is the 3rd largest dairy state. We're South of 90 - about 1 hour South. The fingerlakes region (central NY) has quite a few farms. The "rich" beef farms are near NYC. Rally Angus, Gallagher Angus, Hudson Pines Farm (simmental) - north of "the city".

Jeanne I must of just missed your farm. We traveled all over the finger lakes region. I saw alot of land that was laying idle that would work for a beef operation. Is a source of water the limiting factor in most areas for pasturing cattle. I was surprised at how few equipment and farm supply business I saw.

Pat, congratulations.
Finger Lakes Region is rather large.
Water is plentifull in all the region. No problem. If it was, it sure wouldn't be dairy country - they require tons of water.
I say that, as we are in a severe drought right now. Lawns don't get this pale in mid summer during dry periods.

Latest posts