When will they fall off

Help Support CattleToday:

MK

Reaction score
Hey all...second bull calf I have ever banded. Did it about 1.5 months ago. They are shrivled and still hanging. Getting raw around the endges. No real significant swelling and he is still moving and eating fine. Just getting a bit concerned as it seems a bit longer than the last time. Any help apprciated!
MK

dont worry they will fall off any time now. its like waiting for water to boil. takes a lot longer if your paying attention

2 months ain't unheard of. Although most fall off quicker. If everthing looks fine, no problem.

No problem. If it looks a little raw, it wont be long. Put a little Iodine or blue lotion on it to keep infection and flies off in this hot weather.

some take longer i have seen them go 2 months and as long as they act normal and eat normal.

Cut them off. If they are are raw around edges you run the risk of maggots in the dead tissue and infection setting in. Sounds like they are ready to fall off anyway, just go ahead and speed up the process by cutting them off below the band.

I agree- Cut them off BELOW the band. Clean it off the best you can & spray for flies.

You shoulda cut em off in the first place...if you dont have the patients to band you dont need to do it. I vote to leave em alone and get what you wanted...no cutting

dang if it was over 6 weeks ago you could knock em off with a flyswatter . or you can just relax and let em fall off pretty soon. or you can get all excited and strop the knife and catch the calf and cut em off and spritz the new wound your gonna make with a blend of citris oils and crushed mint leaves and then apply a compress of red sea kelp and red man chewing tobacco and then check him every 30 min to make sure hes happy

brokenmouth":30vajs8r said:
check him every 30 min to make sure hes happy

Brokenmouth, are you sure 30 minutes is often enough? Maybe some flyspray and a fan would help him too? Carry his feed in and be sure to put the pan just under his nose so he doesn't have to move too much to eat.

brokenmouth":2v0ywppt said:
dang if it was over 6 weeks ago you could knock em off with a flyswatter . or you can just relax and let em fall off pretty soon. or you can get all excited and strop the knife and catch the calf and cut em off and spritz the new wound your gonna make with a blend of citris oils and crushed mint leaves and then apply a compress of red sea kelp and red man chewing tobacco and then check him every 30 min to make sure hes happy

I can't find any "RedMan" Will Beachnut work?

Latest posts