when to start dry feed

Help Support CattleToday:

kcchiefs

Reaction score
i bought a 10 day old bull calf, (my first cow i ever bought) just on the 24th of Feburary and im feeding him milk replacement thru a bottle right now, but just wondering when and what i could start feeding him dry feed and how much at a time for proper growth.

A week ago would have been good. Get a good calf starter grain and leave it infront of him at all times. After his bottle, push a little of the grain in his mouth. He'll get the idea. When he's eating 2-3 pounds a day of it you can wean him off the bottle

dun":uq7onzkf said:
A week ago would have been good. Get a good calf starter grain and leave it infront of him at all times. After his bottle, push a little of the grain in his mouth. He'll get the idea. When he's eating 2-3 pounds a day of it you can wean him off the bottle

also we always sprinkled milk replacer on it when raised bucket calves. seemed they licked at it and started eating it quicker.

also keep fresh water available for him always.he wont drink it for awile but he will eventually if its there.i know that not all do this but heck its the cheapest thing u can giv an animal so y not?

piedmontese":13x6vsvq said:
also keep fresh water available for him always.he wont drink it for awile but he will eventually if its there.i know that not all do this but heck its the cheapest thing u can giv an animal so y not?
I give them warm water. It seems they take to warm faster than cold since it is closer to the milk they are used to getting. Plus cold water would freeze up in no time this time of year. Keep fresh calf starter in front of him from day 1. Put just a small amount in and replace it every day to keep it fresh.

Latest posts