When to give lutalyse (sp?)

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
I have a 15 mth 1100 lb hereford heifer -- registered, standing heat Oct 18th - jumped a fence to a limosine angus mixed bull that belongs to someone else. Vet is out of town for the next week.

:?: My question is do I wait to see if she cycles again around Nov 9th or do I go on and lute her???

What kind of time frame can you give the lute??

I have no experience with this drug.

Please offer advice, experience, Thanks, C

You have to wait a minimum of 7 days. wait 10 to be on the safe side. There has to be a corpus luteum (if not bred) or a corpus luteum of pregnancy (if bred) for a prostaglandin to have an effect. The Lute will let the CL degenerate to allow the next heat within 3-5 days after the injection.

I guess I was reading into it more than I should. If her next heat is Nov. 9 the 7-10 day window has passed. That is why I said give it now.

my vet told me they need to be between 3 weeks and
3 months. when they give her the shot she will come back into heat within a week. so be ready.

coolpop":poxjgm1h said:
I have a 15 mth 1100 lb hereford heifer -- registered, standing heat Oct 18th - jumped a fence to a limosine angus mixed bull that belongs to someone else. Vet is out of town for the next week.

:?: My question is do I wait to see if she cycles again around Nov 9th or do I go on and lute her???

What kind of time frame can you give the lute??

I have no experience with this drug.

Please offer advice, experience, Thanks, C

I don't think I'd lute her (assuming the weight at 15 months is correct). I have no experience with Limo's, but if she actually weighs 1100 lbs at 15 months of age - by the time she is ready to deliver she should be big enough to handle an angus/limo cross calf. I'm not a big believer in aborting calves, except in very select circumstances, but that is just me.

msscamp,

I think the issue is more that coolpop doesn't want a registered heifer have a crossbred calf, but would rather want to breed her to a bull of his choice to fit in with his program. I am assuming it's a purebred herd....

A heifer 1100lbs at 15 months should be able to calve any calf at 2 years.

I wouldn't wait too long with the lutalyse, you want to stop her becoming pregnant not really abort a well attached foetus.

I'm very split on what should be done here. She's a fine healthy heifer and I too hate to abort if she's pregnant -- we mess with mother nature enough. We only have a few registered girls, the rest are pure hereford but not registered and of course it could not have been one of the non-registered girls jump the fence.

We don't have experience with registered stock - my husbands concern is that her value goes down if we let this pregnancy go if she settled.

I personally don't think she settled !!! I think the bull was too young. This farmer kept his older bulls out of that field this year because several tore down the fence last year to cover a hereford cow - but we stopped it in time, ran them back across the fence - got her to the barn.

I just not sure what to do.

Pic of the heifer we are talking about - this pic was taken after we walked her down about 2 miles of fence line trying to find where she got thru - thankfully she was halter broke. Never did find where she went thru - no fence disturbed anywhere.

IMG_3782.JPG

coolpop":2yibsdu3 said:
I'm very split on what should be done here. She's a fine healthy heifer and I too hate to abort if she's pregnant -- we mess with mother nature enough. We only have a few registered girls, the rest are pure hereford but not registered and of course it could not have been one of the non-registered girls jump the fence.

We don't have experience with registered stock - my husbands concern is that her value goes down if we let this pregnancy go if she settled.

I personally don't think she settled !!! I think the bull was too young. This farmer kept his older bulls out of that field this year because several tore down the fence last year to cover a hereford cow - but we stopped it in time, ran them back across the fence - got her to the barn.

I just not sure what to do.

Her value won't go down per se. The value of her calf will just be commercial, but unless you planned to sell her as a bred heifer the value of the cow should stay the same. Having said that though, she will be a year older before you could possibly breed her to your choice of bull. The difference in value will be between the commercial calf she could have and the possible value of any registered calf that she could have (providing it is worthy of being breeding stock).

You can wait to see if she comes back into heat Nov. 9. My vet's advice was to give the lutalyse at 28 and 44 days post breeding, when my little 5 month heifer was accidently bred. She came into heat 3 days after giving the 5 cc lutalyse at 28 days. That will also give you time to decide if you want a crossbred calf, or would rather keep the heifer open.

we plan to keep her, wanted to breed her to reg. hereford. Our commercial heifers I'm ok with breeding them to black angus - baldies bring a nice few dollars in this area.

You can Lute her now. Lute can be given anywhere from 7-10 days post breeding and the cow will cycle again within 72 hours. No reason to wait a month before giving the Lute.

well, I'm guessing she didn't settle because she has blood on her tail this morning.....She started bawling at the fence line 2 days ago, so we penned her up. This is good news.

Latest posts