when do YOU start

Help Support CattleToday:

We generally wean show calves at about 120 days. It all depends if they have the weight to handle the stress of weaning. Then give them a couple of days to calm down and get in there and work with the calf.

We wean anywhere from 7 months and up. Generally all the calves (show and otherwise) are weaned around 7 or 8 months but if there is a particularly good calf we might leave it on for 10 or 12 months. Start breaking them in a couple months after weaning, generally between 10 and 12 months.

*Cowgirl*":1tisb3f1 said:
Moocow11":1tisb3f1 said:
i wean at 5-7 months and wait a couple weeks and get strated with it
ditto - sometimes I start a little earlier though.
Reread this and decided that I needed to clarify. We wean at 5-7 months, but we start at a couple weeks old. (not a couple of weeks after weaning)

We've weaned at 5-6 months pretty easily.
We have an steer now that we are feeding for a March show that was born in Feb. Our daughter fed him along side of his mom for a week, then started haltering him and handling him with mom nearby. We began tying him with our older calves during the day under fans/misters and turning him out with mom each night. We feed mom 20# per day too. It sounds like overkill but it works great. Calf is easy to work with, leads great, will stand for being rinsed and blown. He nurses like crazy when we turn him out and mom produces a ton of milk. It might not be the cheapest way but it pushes him along, without all the stress.

I try and start anything I can while it's still on it's mom.. sure makes it a lot easier when you get serious. At the very least I'll get them quiet and where they'll allow me to scratch them all over.. gain their trust. I like to keep them on the cow 5 - 6 months. We have everything on creep feed, so if they're eating well earlier, I'll go ahead and pull them early.

Start leading and creeping them at 2 months. Pull off mom anywhere from 100 days on, depending on a lot of outside factors.

Depending what your using them for I guess it would vary. If they are for Prospect Steers, Steers, or Show Heifers then I would guess around 5 to 6 months you would wean. But I buy my calves at 2 days old and wean them when their 4 months old since they're used for Baby Beef.

Latest posts