When Can Hay be Cut Off New Pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
As some of you may recall last summer/fall I had some timber clear cut & turned to pasture. My results were quite good (thus far) & the grass has greened up very well & is growing very good so far this spring. I currently have more grass than cows so I don't need the newly created pasture for grazing. But I would like to take at least one cutting of hay off of it if possible this spring or summer but I don't want to do anything to hurt the pasture long term.

Which brings me to my questions: Can/should I take a cutting (or 2) of hay off of that ground this year or should I just mow it a few times this year & leave it be other than that? If It is ok to take a cutting of hay off of it this year should I take the 1st cut or just mow it the 1st time & take the hay during the normal 2nd cut?

And yes I will have a soil sample taken & lime & fertilize as necessary whether I take hay off of it or not.

Thanks in advance for your help & if there's any more info you need to answer my questions just let me know.

I wouldnt mow it and leave it in windrows. It would be better off bushcut, or spread out somehow.

You can take off of it, but what comes out has to go back in at some point. You could let it go to seed, and then mow down late summer, if you dont need it for anything else.

We have a new field of grass hay most years that was rotated with tobacco. I take one or two cuttings off it and have no ill effects. I do however not use it for pasture the first year.

If you don't need it....let it go on and establish itself. Let it keep the ground covered till fall then cut for hay or preferably strip graze it as stocokpiled fescue.

Banjo":1d63cwy0 said:
If you don't need it....let it go on and establish itself. Let it keep the ground covered till fall then cut for hay or preferably strip graze it as stocokpiled fescue.
My choice also

dun":1y86t9b4 said:
Banjo":1y86t9b4 said:
My choice also
If it is fescue the weather after you cut it (bale or mow) will make the most difference concerning the survival. If you get a hot and dry period after baling the extra stress will take out the stand. The lower you cut it the higher the stress.

Roots will mimic top in length. On a new stand you are better off to let it keep the keep the extra height of first year's growth and if you want to graze it just flash grazed the pasture for a day every few weeks. The first year on fescue is a balancing act. After that it is a tougher plant.

Ebenezer":2pqa56r1 said:
The lower you cut it the higher the stress.
That's the reason we started 10 years ago cutting the fescue 3-4 inches high. It loses a small amount in volume as hay but more than makes up for it in speed of recovery. The stockpiled stuff we graze in the winter we leave at least 4 inches. It helps the soil retain moisture in the early spring when it's so dam windy and in my theory protects the crown from the desiccating winds.

Thank you all for the input so far. The pasture is actually a mixed grass stand consisting of:

20%
Power (Tetraploid) Perennial Ryegrass
20%
Rustler Tall Fescue (Endophyte-Free)
10%
Tekapo (Grazing) Orchardgrass
10%
Heritage (Three Cut) Alfalfa
10%
Balin (Grazing) Bluegrass
10%
Duo Festulolium
10%
Climax Timothy
5%
Ladino Clover
5%
Dynamite Red Clover

All of the plants will do better if they are not scalped off at the surface either by grazing or cutting. Keep minimum heights in mind for the good of the plants.

Latest posts