whats the going rate for custom bailing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just secured a hay field from one of the local ranches that has scaled back because his other business is doing so well. They don't need the hayfield anymore. But, its road frontage, so they spray it and fert it so it looks good. They were having a hard time finding someone reliable to mow it, so I offered to bale it. My hay guy will cut and bail for 17 bucks a roll (4x5). last cutting they actually bailed they pulled about 50 rolls off it. Way more than I need but I have neighbors and friends that can use hay too and they will help me pull the bails off in exchange for getting hay.
What are you guys paying for custom bailing?

we are paying $20 to get it cut raked an baled.now that was 5 by 6 bales.the price may change next as im wanting to find another baler man.

I used two different balers as I have property in different communities. The baler I use in the north end of the county gets $21 per bale to cut, rake and bale. He also has a minimum of 2 bales per acre. Here at the home place, my customer baler charges $25 per bale. I checked with another blaer just down the road and he also went to $25 per bale this year.

Cutting hay on halves is alright if it's good hay. But how about if the hays lacking fertilizer and just poor quality??

highgrit":1lexl0tk said:
Cutting hay on halves is alright if it's good hay. But how about if the hays lacking fertilizer and just poor quality??
for me to be able to justify baling on a 50/50 split it has to produce atleast 5 bales pr acre and then I leave their hay sitting in the field where it came out of the baler

I offered him a 70/30 split and he said he doesn't have a need for more hay unless he builds another building to store it. The 17 is with me picking up in the field where they get spit out

My buddy cuts, rakes, and bales tight 4x6 net wrap John Deere for 19 dollars. Another guy does the same with 5x5 net wrap for 13 dollars per bale plus 30 dollars per acre. They both were doing 70/30 split if you want it that way. But, then hay went up, that should have changed the split, but they haven't baled any since then, so I do not know how the split will change

3 years ago I had to do a 60/40 split. Last 2 years, yes with different crews, I got it done for 50/50. I found a used, (worn out) MO-CO, rake & 5X5 baler, so gonna try it myself this year. IF the machinery holds up 1 season, I should get my money back outta it, and can cut when it needs cutting/baling, not when they can get to it. Of course, that is if Mother Nature will let me!

Cowman, Most custom balers around here wouldn't even consider doing it on a split of any kind before July of this year. The last few years you could buy grass hay for 15 dollars and 20 at the most. So, if you charge 19 dollars per bale and bale 100 bales, that is 1900 dollars. But, if you bale 100 bales, get 70 percent, that is 70 bales and if you are lucky, sell them for 20 dollars, that is only 1400 dollars or 14 dollars per bale for cutting, raking, and baling. You lose 500 dollars by doing a 70/30 split, 80 percent at 20 dollars is 1600, so you lose 300 dollars, and even at 90 percent, you lose 100 dollars. That is if you were lucky enough to get 20 dollars per bale. If you had to sell at 15, then you lose even more. That is why people either did a split at 70/30 or more or wouldn't do a split. Now that hay has come up, it will be interesting to see what the split is, if there is any more hay to bale this year.

stocky":37gsz3u7 said:
Cowman, Most custom balers around here wouldn't even consider doing it on a split of any kind before July of this year. The last few years you could buy grass hay for 15 dollars and 20 at the most. So, if you charge 19 dollars per bale and bale 100 bales, that is 1900 dollars. But, if you bale 100 bales, get 70 percent, that is 70 bales and if you are lucky, sell them for 20 dollars, that is only 1400 dollars or 14 dollars per bale for cutting, raking, and baling. You lose 500 dollars by doing a 70/30 split, 80 percent at 20 dollars is 1600, so you lose 300 dollars, and even at 90 percent, you lose 100 dollars. That is if you were lucky enough to get 20 dollars per bale. If you had to sell at 15, then you lose even more. That is why people either did a split at 70/30 or more or wouldn't do a split. Now that hay has come up, it will be interesting to see what the split is, if there is any more hay to bale this year.
I guess I have a little better hay market plus I always need some extra hay as I sell mine usually for $25-30 out of the field and higher out of the barn

On the guys I do a 50/50 split with he also pays me an extra $5pr bale on his share and I move it off the field
$3 of that charge is a fuel surcharge and $2 is for moving it

Latest posts