whats the best?

Help Support CattleToday:

You will find that each person will tell you that the breed they are raising is the best... I imagine there will be many disagreements over this one ;-) ....

I would say the top 4 breeds are as follows

1) Red Angus
2) Black Angus
3) Charlais
4) Hereford

I like Red and Black Angus the best because they do it all very well. First they make an outstanding momma cow, then they perform very well and kill with a good carcass. They will make a good cross with whatever you cross them with, and then they sell really well at the barn, at least in the Dakotas.

All breeds are good ones if you do not currently have any cows ;-)

I am just concerned that kids now adays will not know anything about a cow other than you get the meat at the store....some one will have to invent a new game for xbox or something to teach them about a cow.

Depends on the climate, forage type, market demand, and personal preference. Here in Alabama I like cattle with Brahman breeding. The British breeds (Hereford & Angus) are popular, too, and they have proven themselves many times over in all parts of the US.

I personally like the red angus, they do well in our area, sell well in our area nd are easy to look after, plus I like their disposition.Depending on your grass, weather, what sells in your area, your personality and amount of help will depend on what is best though. The reason there are so many varieties of cattle is because everyone has different opinions and that is a good thing.

CKC1586":1isokly4 said:
You will find that each person will tell you that the breed they are raising is the best... I imagine there will be many disagreements over this one ;-) ....

Isn't that the truth! :lol:

And it comes as no surprise that my answer is a good Hereford. I like Angus of both colors as well.

Most all breeds have good points and bad points I guess. I like cross breeds best for cows. Bulls: I like Angus on predominately continental (Char,Simm) or Brahman cows. The three main reasons why are (1)Calving ease. (2)Heterosis (3)At the cow sale I go to, on average, those calves that look like Angus top the market.

THE ONES BRINGING THE BEST PRICE AROUND HERE IS THE CHAROLAIS, CHAROLAIS X, BLACK ANGUS AND BLACK ANGUS X. THE HEREFORD DON'T DO WELL AT ALL AND THE RED NOT MUCH BETTER. I SOLD 4 YESTERDAY, 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 505LBS @ 110.OO, 1 BRANGUS HEIFER 430LBS @ 112.00, 1 BRANGUS BALDIE BULL 480LBS. @ 114.00 AND 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 515LBS. @85.00, THEY DOCKED ME FOR HER CAUSE SHE HELD HER HEAD SORTA SIDE WAYS. BUT STILL GOT A PRETTY GOOD PRICE.

CKC1586":5014n7pt said:

I am one of those. Brangus for sure!!! ;-)

bullman":2grqxmfd said:
THE ONES BRINGING THE BEST PRICE AROUND HERE IS THE CHAROLAIS, CHAROLAIS X, BLACK ANGUS AND BLACK ANGUS X. THE HEREFORD DON'T DO WELL AT ALL AND THE RED NOT MUCH BETTER. I SOLD 4 YESTERDAY, 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 505LBS @ 110.OO, 1 BRANGUS HEIFER 430LBS @ 112.00, 1 BRANGUS BALDIE BULL 480LBS. @ 114.00 AND 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 515LBS. @85.00, THEY DOCKED ME FOR HER CAUSE SHE HELD HER HEAD SORTA SIDE WAYS. BUT STILL GOT A PRETTY GOOD PRICE.

Your hereford influenced (I presume since it was a baldie) sold higher than any of the others.

Here are my favorites in no particular order.

1)Beefmaster
2)Brangus
3)F-1 Tigerstripe (not a recognized breed, i know)
4)Angus (red or black-same thing to me)
5)Brahman

greenwillowherefords":2jn8w2h6 said:
CKC1586":2jn8w2h6 said:

And it comes as no surprise that my answer is a good Hereford. I like Angus of both colors as well.

Nope,no surprise, and I should have added to that post of course my preference is Piedmontese, great on their own or able to improve other breeds with crossing. Good in both hot and cold climates. Piedmontese: the leader in lean, tender, delicious beef! :)

CKC1586":2z52o0n6 said:
greenwillowherefords":2z52o0n6 said:
CKC1586":2z52o0n6 said:

Nope,no surprise, and I should have added to that post of course my preference is Piedmontese, great on their own or able to improve other breeds with crossing. Good in both hot and cold climates. Piedmontese: the leader in lean, tender, delicious beef! :)

You have got to be kidding that rage went through here 15 years ago those poor guys lost their backsides.I had on of those x-bred piedmont cows and she was a poor excuse for a cow.....it's easier to start out with quality cattle than it is to improve poor cattle...

DD RANCH":3ho7fr1y said:
CKC1586":3ho7fr1y said:
greenwillowherefords":3ho7fr1y said:
CKC1586":3ho7fr1y said:

You have got to be kidding that rage went through here 15 years ago those poor guys lost their backsides.I had on of those x-bred piedmont cows and she was a poor excuse for a cow.....it's easier to start out with quality cattle than it is to improve poor cattle...

Like I said..... you certainly have a right to your opinion and I to mine. My experience and that of breeders I know have had good results. The "poor guys" that lost their backsides that you speak of I expect had more to do with politics and other factors unrelated to the cows themselves. I am sorry you had a bad experience with your one cross bred cow, there are problems in every breed. I never said the Piedmontese were perfect and I doubt that any breeder of any breed can claim 100% perfection. That is why we all cull. I do know that we have tried to carefully breed our seedstock to continue to improve with each generation. There is a market for our product and packers are paying premiums to get Piedmontese influenced cattle.

They lost their butts because the calving problems dead cows dead calves total wreck....

I had one of these breeders give me some steaks from some piedmont steers they had no flavor and yes I know how to prepare a steak....

Latest posts