whats the best?

Help Support CattleToday:

texascowgirl":1zr1zuxj said:
In ya'lls opinion, what is the best cattle breed ya'll have come upon??

My pic is hereford of coarse but you cant forget about the black baldie gota love them they seem to work everywhere and working is what it is all about. People here get top dollar for good ang x herf calves. That is my opinion, now there are several other breeds that work also.JHH

greenwillowherefords":p9eh16nx said:
bullman":p9eh16nx said:
THE ONES BRINGING THE BEST PRICE AROUND HERE IS THE CHAROLAIS, CHAROLAIS X, BLACK ANGUS AND BLACK ANGUS X. THE HEREFORD DON'T DO WELL AT ALL AND THE RED NOT MUCH BETTER. I SOLD 4 YESTERDAY, 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 505LBS @ 110.OO, 1 BRANGUS HEIFER 430LBS @ 112.00, 1 BRANGUS BALDIE BULL 480LBS. @ 114.00 AND 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 515LBS. @85.00, THEY DOCKED ME FOR HER CAUSE SHE HELD HER HEAD SORTA SIDE WAYS. BUT STILL GOT A PRETTY GOOD PRICE.

Your hereford influenced (I presume since it was a baldie) sold higher than any of the others.
You want us to think that was because it was a baldy? Any chance it could have been because the others were heifers?

Guess I'm one of the old farts that stick with the Angus, red & black and the Herefords, never met a mean Hereford and we do like them Baldies. Do have a Limousin heifer who will calve in March from our red Angus bull...thought that we'd give it a try and see how it turns out.....DMc

Texan":1mrzmv8n said:
greenwillowherefords":1mrzmv8n said:
bullman":1mrzmv8n said:
THE ONES BRINGING THE BEST PRICE AROUND HERE IS THE CHAROLAIS, CHAROLAIS X, BLACK ANGUS AND BLACK ANGUS X. THE HEREFORD DON'T DO WELL AT ALL AND THE RED NOT MUCH BETTER. I SOLD 4 YESTERDAY, 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 505LBS @ 110.OO, 1 BRANGUS HEIFER 430LBS @ 112.00, 1 BRANGUS BALDIE BULL 480LBS. @ 114.00 AND 1 CHAROLAIS X HEIFER 515LBS. @85.00, THEY DOCKED ME FOR HER CAUSE SHE HELD HER HEAD SORTA SIDE WAYS. BUT STILL GOT A PRETTY GOOD PRICE.

Your hereford influenced (I presume since it was a baldie) sold higher than any of the others.
You want us to think that was because it was a baldy? Any chance it could have been because the others were heifers?

Just thought that if the Hereford didn't do well at all, then why was he pleased with the price his Herf influenced steer brought?

Guess it would depend upon what your goal is.... what type of market you want to get into.

Commercial cross. For me, I like charx cows. Eventually, I intend to have all gold colored cows (charx with red poll) So far, the gold colored charx I have are good mommas, good milkers, docile and raise a nice calf. I realize that not every gold cow will be like that (am bottle feeding a first heifers calf, but they don't belong to me... well the calf may eventually be mine but he'll end up being a steer).

However, I have purchased six red poll heifers (7-8 months old now) and as far as docility goes they would give any hereford a run for its money.

Eventually I want all gold colored cows and will probably cross them back to an angus for hybrid vigor and then keep the calves all the way through the feedlot .... at least that is my long term plan.

True confessions of a Tennessee Redneck: I do love the Angus cattle, but I have to admit that I do like Piedmontese too, along with many of the other breeds. To be honest, the beef we have in the freezer (Piedmontese) is so tender and has such a good flavor, I cannot figure out what it is that people don't like about them. The steaks tear apart just with a fork and it is so good. I can't say that I have tasted any beef that was better, but I can say that I have tasted some just as good, and some that was not. We didn't have dead calves or cows when we raised them. The babies popped right out. I can understand that someone might not like the mousey coloring. We no longer have the Piedmontese (because the buyers want Angus) but a friend has hung on to his. Those little calves have such round full rumps that Doc Harris could never even whisper the word, "Funnel Butt" around them. :) I really don't have any problem with the majority of the breeds, but I do not like a cow with pink skin around the eyes. It makes their eyes look so weak. That is my only fault I can find with other breeds of cattle.
The buyers are what determines what we raise. I hope they don't change their mind any time soon.
I honestly like any of the cows that are filled out well, but I do like the flashy coloring of other breeds.

Chuckie":u1qd1dwb said:
True confessions of a Tennessee Redneck: I do love the Angus cattle, but I have to admit that I do like Piedmontese too, along with many of the other breeds. To be honest, the beef we have in the freezer (Piedmontese) is so tender and has such a good flavor, I cannot figure out what it is that people don't like about them. The steaks tear apart just with a fork and it is so good. I can't say that I have tasted any beef that was better, but I can say that I have tasted some just as good, and some that was not. We didn't have dead calves or cows when we raised them. The babies popped right out. I can understand that someone might not like the mousey coloring. We no longer have the Piedmontese (because the buyers want Angus) but a friend has hung on to his. Those little calves have such round full rumps that Doc Harris could never even whisper the word, "Funnel Butt" around them. :) I really don't have any problem with the majority of the breeds, but I do not like a cow with pink skin around the eyes. It makes their eyes look so weak. That is my only fault I can find with other breeds of cattle.
The buyers are what determines what we raise. I hope they don't change their mind any time soon.
I honestly like any of the cows that are filled out well, but I do like the flashy coloring of other breeds.

Thanks Chuckie, good to hear something positive about the Pieds from someone other than me on this board!! I too am very spoiled with the Pied beef, I can't go back. Our cows do well calving, and the breeders around here have been successful too. Of course we pay attention to our genetics and breed accordingly to be sure we don't set our seleves up for any "trainwrecks". I can appreciate the attributes of all breeds and am always curious to learn more. I am in awe at the brilliant marketing stratagies of the Angus Association. Every breed can learn from them.

Just 1 breed?? Thats not a good question because theres not a 1 best breed...if I had to Id say black baldie but I know thats not a breed..but youll find its the most versatile brood cow or carcass animal there is. Not talkinga bout a *Black hereford* either LOL

Get you some angus and get you some herefords and cross em until you see what Im talking about. If you dont agree with me about the baldie youll still have a winner with either of your foundation choices..angus or hereford

On 2nd thinking..LOL..I always forget about RA cattle. I sure couldnt argue with anybody that says there the best thing going

To heck with it...theres just not a *1* best breed

Latest posts