What's my best option?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
We are in a pretty bad drought, hay may be stretched a little thin this year and I am looking at some options to extend my hay.
1. I can get alfalfa haylage for about $200 a ton.
2. I can get 12% protein bulk feed from the mill for about the same price(195-199) per ton.
I want to stretch my grass hay a much as possible without sacrificing my herd health. Which option would be best and what kind of feeding plan would you use?

The haylage will be 40-60% moisture so I would think the bulk feed would be the better buy.

Do you have access to corn stalks, straw or something similar? Even straight corn or other grains can replace some of the hay.

I'm not an authority, but in 2011 I fed 10lbs of 12% feed per cow every other day, half my usual amount of hay, and free choice protein tubs. The cows came through the winter in good shape.

skyhightree1":36ogolzh said:
if you are getting any moisture drilling in wheat oats rye grains would help you out some.
We are ready to plant some fall grazing, but haven't had any rain in 15 days and none forecasted for the next 7 days. Summer grass is basically done and man it's dry!!

RanchMan90":34sf23ds said:
How much is ddg in bulk in your area? Should be twice the protein for much less $
I have never fed any and have no clue as to the price.will check around. Are there any special equipment needs or concerns with feeding DDG's?

southernultrablack":270aq8e4 said:
skyhightree1":270aq8e4 said:
if you are getting any moisture drilling in wheat oats rye grains would help you out some.
We are ready to plant some fall grazing, but haven't had any rain in 15 days and none forecasted for the next 7 days. Summer grass is basically done and man it's dry!!

We were really dry as well then got 8 inches last week. We were extremely dry before I planted my oats and when it rained it really rained. I would gamble and plant something its going to rain sometime especially with all these storms brewing. Plant it and keep them off it till a good height.

It can be fed directly on the ground, but you'll lose up to 20% of it. It should be around 25% protein, I mix it 50/50 with soy hulls for $180 per ton/ 18% protein. I heard some feed it straight but have not done so personally.

southernultrablack":1bnu2ykh said:
We are in a pretty bad drought, hay may be stretched a little thin this year and I am looking at some options to extend my hay.
1. I can get alfalfa haylage for about $200 a ton.
2. I can get 12% protein bulk feed from the mill for about the same price(195-199) per ton.
I want to stretch my grass hay a much as possible without sacrificing my herd health. Which option would be best and what kind of feeding plan would you use?
No bulk feed replaces hay, it simply compliments it, however, if I were forced to cut back on hay I'd probably look for a feed that contained some loose cottonseed hulls so that even by eating the feed they are getting a good source of additional roughage. It won't be $200 a ton but will be worth the extra money. No way I'd pay $200 for haylage that is 65% water or expect much nutrition from a grain mix that's $200 a ton.

Lots of good feedback here. Also depends a lot if you are looking for them to gain weight or just maintain it. The cheapest is not always the best value, in many applications.

Another option is buy it then haul it back to your area or have it hauled to you. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The other option is cull and keep the best of the best

skyhightree1":lmwndsg9 said:
Another option is buy it then haul it back to your area or have it hauled to you. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The other option is cull and keep the best of the best
This may be my best option!

southernultrablack":qw76hd0m said:
Thanks for all the feedback! TB what percentage should I shoot for with the cottonseed.

10-15% of the feed. Most of these feeds will be c/s hulls, corn, a protein pellet and molasses....somewhere around 11% protein will be adequate. You might see if you can find some shredded gin trash (cotton burrs). Cattle love them, they are about 40% fiber, usually not very expensive and about 8% protein. Even some dairies over this way feed them.

I've always read "you can't feed your way out of a drought" and it makes sense. On my "fantasy farm" my drought plan calls for selling off SOME of the sheep or SOME of the goats or SOME of the cattle depending on where the best money lies. Wean every thing sooner than usual and sell it fast. Cull deeper than usual. Haven't actually tried it of course, but that's my plan.

Seems to me the right thing to do is protect your money and sacrifice the animals, not the other way around. By sacrifice I mean sell them, not let them die!!

City Guy":3lwfqte2 said:
I've always read "you can't feed your way out of a drought" and it makes sense. On my "fantasy farm" my drought plan calls for selling off SOME of the sheep or SOME of the goats or SOME of the cattle depending on where the best money lies. Wean every thing sooner than usual and sell it fast. Cull deeper than usual. Haven't actually tried it of course, but that's my plan.

Seems to me the right thing to do is protect your money and sacrifice the animals, not the other way around. By sacrifice I mean sell them, not let them die!!
When you've culled deep and still want to maintain a nucleus of the genetics that you've developed, you still have to feed them.

dun, That's correct. However, for a commercial operator, selling out completely might be a viable option in a prolonged drought--fielder's choice!! Parent stock producers have a much tougher decision. Trouble with a drought is everyone expects it to be over "any day now". It's very difficult to plan when "any day now" is your best prediction, doesn't matter what business you're in.