What's it worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's a good tractor with a real good engine. I'm not a MF fan, but if it's not beat up it should be worth $6-7k anyway.

Gut feeling it is abused or not well maintained. You'll know by looking at their other equiptment. Unknown hours? 4k

With that many hours and maybe more 6k would be plenty if it is in good shape.

"Selling as we are upgrading to a 4X4 tractor."

That says all you need to know. I bought a 2wd JD with loader, sunk to the front axles with practically no load in the bucket for 9 months of the year. Absolutely helpless anytime it was less than brick hard.

5k as it sits IMHO, it's a pig in a poke unless it's running.

Kell-inKY":37xk3xsg said:
"Selling as we are upgrading to a 4X4 tractor."

That says all you need to know. I bought a 2wd JD with loader, sunk to the front axles with practically no load in the bucket for 9 months of the year. Absolutely helpless anytime it was less than brick hard.

5k as it sits IMHO, it's a pig in a poke unless it's running.

That statement also tells you something else.. the seller has probably been 'making do' with a 2nd tractor when he has needed a 4x4....which probably means it's taken some abuse from being put in less than ideal situations for a 2wd..else around these parts, that model MF has a solid rep.

Neighbors had a 275. I assume this tractor is just a notch larger. Not something I'd want to use doing fieldwork, but a decent sized all purpose utility tractor.

Neighbor's tractor had some expensive rear axle casting problems, but I think that was a freak deal. Possible from carrying to much heavy 3pt equipment. It it's the same steering design, I'd make sure it doesn't have too much slop it or at least find out how much it cost to fix before committing to the tractor. I agree, take the loader off.

Don't know what Perkins is under the hood. Neighbor's 275 started great, and was a fuel miser. Multi-power trans never gave them any trouble. I believe their MF was a 1976 model. They traded the 275 for a new White 2-85 with cab and loader in the early 80's.

John SD":3vu782gr said:
Don't know what Perkins is under the hood. Neighbor's 275 started great, and was a fuel miser. Multi-power trans never gave them any trouble. I believe their MF was a 1976 model. They traded the 275 for a new White 2-85 with cab and loader in the early 80's.

The 285 that I used to own had the 318 Perkins engine. Good solid tractor without the loader but when I put a loader on it I broke, axle and steering arm. Looks like this one has the weighted front hubs on it that weigh about 150 lbs. each. I still have mine sitting in the back of the shop after exchanging them for 275 hubs. I think I sold the tractor with loader for $8500.

Latest posts