What's CRP paying now?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Some kin folk, said they got in at $237 an acre. I'm not doubting they did, but that seems terribly high. I've sucked from the government tit, but I'm even callin BS if that's what they're paying.

Last I had dealings with here was $100/AC initial payment. Then around $65/AC yearly for the fifteen year program. To be eligible the ground had to be in crop production for 2 of the last 4 years.

JMJ Farms":m4z19a8o said:
Last I had dealings with here was $100/AC initial payment. Then around $65/AC yearly for the fifteen year program. To be eligible the ground had to be in crop production for 2 of the last 4 years.

That's about what I thought it was. I didn't want to question this person, but I know they said they were getting $237 an acre. Cost of seeding was on top of that.

Bigfoot I don't know about Kentucky but some go by soil fertility and what can be grown on the farm. Could it be higher because it's tobacco ground?
I've heard anywhere from 65 to 125 per acre for hill ground.

RiverHills":2bcg66xo said:
Bigfoot I don't know about Kentucky but some go by soil fertility and what can be grown on the farm. Could it be higher because it's tobacco ground?
I've heard anywhere from 65 to 125 per acre for hill ground.
Yes, this ground would make a fine crop of dark tobacco.

All the CRP in this state that I know of is in the wheat country on the east side. Dry land wheat ground the CRP is about $30-40 an acre. We have some CREP in this area. The rate on it is higher. But the highest I have heard on it is $200.

If you put 100 acres in. That's $23,700 annually. That's $23,700 you didn't have to do one thing to collect. Cattle don't return like that per acre.

I have no idea how they figure CRP rates. CREP is based on double the rental rate for that soil type. At least that how it is here. Funny how Federal programs can vary so much from state to state. I know that CRP is only for highly erodible soils. That is how it is here. CREP here is just for riparian areas. So it is a 50-150 foot buffer along a stream. Here that would be a salmon streams only. You are required to plant trees in the area. They pay for the planting. But in 15 years when the contract runs out you have a bunch of trees that state laws would not let you clear because it is within 150 feet of a salmon bearing stream. So at that point you get to pay property tax on land you can't use anymore. The devil is in the details.

If somebody is netting $237 an acre on a cow/calf operation, they need to write a book. I'll buy the first copy.

Bigfoot":1f2b6pyo said:
Some kin folk, said they got in at $237 an acre. I'm not doubting they did, but that seems terribly high. I've sucked from the government tit, but I'm even callin BS if that's what they're paying.
Was it CRP or CREP? Some of the CREP ground around here was over $200 an acre. I could have gotten about $180 for some of my poor ground.

Latest posts