Yours are not aged enough...
Yours are too lean...
Yours are too fat...
Yours are too large of a frame...
Yours are too small of a frame...
Yours are too full bodied...
Yours are not high quality....

.... you get the point yet?

I went last night to the fat sale, as it was running quite late, so I had the opportunity to learn some more.... and I try to sit next to a buyer willing to talk.... After talking a bit, we'd talk when holsteins were in the ring, then when some coloreds came in.... all I had to ask was... "And what is wrong with this bunch"... and he had an answer... see above.

I could not get an answer if I asked the question.. "What do you like with this bunch?" .. just a smile...

Is this something in the cattle buying classes that is taught? Never say anything nice, pick out the bad, whatever you can so you can implement the big "D" word? (Dock)

So frustrated sometimes...because I just feel like whatever I do, will be wrong, or I should say.. not all the way right...DOCK..... UGH!

Michele

I know how you feel. Several years ago I went to a sale early. Sat around and talked to what few buyers who realized I didn't have leprosy. Anyhow, I sat down by one who had talked to me the most and watched the bidding. When mine came in I pointed them out to him and asked him to critique them for me. During a break in the action, I explained to him that I didn't care if I raised pink cows with purple polka dots on them - I just wanted to raise what he wanted. He made two suggestions.

Two years later, I sat down by him again and watched as the results from his suggestions came into the ring. I pointed out again these were my calves and I had done as he asked and what more I could do to improve them. He said, nothing - they don't come no better than baldies and he commenced buying them at a good price. (What may have also helped was I got my five year old daughter to ask another buyer, "what more do you want - a banana with a zipper on it". Everyone laughed at this and the mood has changed when ours go in the ring.

As things evolved, most now never make it to the ring but are sold per head straight off the farm. Its nice when they come to you.

Jogeephus":27ckpfkq said:
I got my five year old daughter to ask another buyer, "what more do you want - a banana with a zipper on it".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Was at a sale last Saturday and stayed to the end, around 8pm. It almost seemed the buyers got more picky (and hence lower prices) towards the end. Has anyone else noticed that? I saw a couple of fat steers (angus influenced I think) at around 550lbs go for 80/cwt. While not 20 minutes earlier I saw similar framed 500 wt but thinner go for 100/cwt. Man, what a difference. Then I got to thinking what I'd do if I thought mine were selling at to much of a discount. At horse sales sellers have been known to tell the auctioneer to stop the bidding, cause he was just going to take the horse back home. I've also seen them tell the auctioneer to start the bidding at say $500 or watever; and, if there weren't any bids he'd just take the horse home. I've never seen either of these things happen at a cattle auction. Has anyone else? What about maybe bidding up your own cattle to the least your willing to take, assuming you have someone to bid against? Other ideas?

Frequently, particularly at larger sales, most of the buyers have already gotten all of the cattle they need by the time they get towards the end. By then it's the smaller buyers or those that only need a single animal that are left. And of course a lot of the sellers are still sitting around waiting for their checks

dcara":3osaj0x7 said:
Was at a sale last Saturday and stayed to the end, around 8pm. It almost seemed the buyers got more picky (and hence lower prices) towards the end. Has anyone else noticed that? I saw a couple of fat steers (angus influenced I think) at around 550lbs go for 80/cwt. While not 20 minutes earlier I saw similar framed 500 wt but thinner go for 100/cwt. Man, what a difference. Then I got to thinking what I'd do if I thought mine were selling at to much of a discount. At horse sales sellers have been known to tell the auctioneer to stop the bidding, cause he was just going to take the horse back home. I've also seen them tell the auctioneer to start the bidding at say $500 or watever; and, if there weren't any bids he'd just take the horse home. I've never seen either of these things happen at a cattle auction. Has anyone else? What about maybe bidding up your own cattle to the least your willing to take, assuming you have someone to bid against? Other ideas?

It is not nearly as frequent but sometimes folks will take cattle back home - sometimes they will get the auctioneer's attention and say 'no sale' and that ends it - some auctioneers will ask "What's it take to sell 'em?" That primarily depends on the size of the auction, some are too busy to spend that much time on one lot.

I have a problem with this concept that people have of bidding up.
You know what the animal is worth or what you're willing to pay. If you pay that much then it's fair, if you bid more then that it's your problem for exceeding your limits

dun

dun":2durxhp7 said:
I have a problem with this concept that people have of bidding up.
You know what the animal is worth or what you're willing to pay. If you pay that much then it's fair, if you bid more then that it's your problem for exceeding your limits

dun

Very well stated ! I have always felt that way but sometimes found myself in the minority. You should always set a budget and stick to it - if someone else want's it more than you or more than you think it's worth - so be it. Goes not only for cattle sales but any consignment auction.

order buyers are a strange bunch.i dont care what color the cattle are.the order buyers buy what they can make money on.no matter the hide color.i know alot of order buyers an when i go to the sale we always sitt togather.an if i have something i know they buy ill tell them what ive broyght in.an they usually always bid on it and or buy it.inall honesty ive known the buyers all my life.an some ive known for 15yrs.

I would not be supprised if buyers dont want to talk infact that is how I am before I make a purchase Im thinking about the investment Im about to make. If buyers dont want to tell you what they see in the cattle up for bid its usually b/c they know soemthing that you don't, why would they want to give up a thought that might lead you to get ahead perhapse get that bull its a game of chess! Sit next to the talkative ones I guess not the serious buyers looking to make money. :)

dcara":1vc0brjj said:
Was at a sale last Saturday and stayed to the end, around 8pm. It almost seemed the buyers got more picky (and hence lower prices) towards the end. Has anyone else noticed that?

I have noticed this and think it is probably due to quotas. I think most buyers - in our area anyway - have a set number of calves they are going to buy. Once they hit their limit they will stop buying unless they see it as something they themselves can buy and "speculate on" for some extra folding money.

I don't see anything wrong with this since we are all in this to make money and if wasn't for him we wouldn't have a market at all.

To prevent this from happening to you, I think it important to get to know the buyers or at least let them know you by your reputation of producing good quality cattle that won't get sick and die on them. If they know this, I think you are on better ground.

Also, and God knows this is hard to do, if you do not have enough cattle to sell in groups or loads, work with some friends or aquantices and form a loose coop where you all can put your calves together for a few weeks and sell groups or loads. I sold two loads this summer this way and it made a significant difference. Probably about $50 per head.

This was a win win situation for both me and the buyer. I got what I thought was a good price with less shrink and the buyer got a bunch of very uniform healthy cattle plus I guaranteed the heifers were open.

I had an order buyer tell me one time "if you have two calves in a sale ring one is always better than the other". I thought about this and he is right there is always room for improvement there is always 5% more the farmer can give his calf or the calf to his buyer. I think that is why a good order buyer is always looking for a default in every calf that will tell him when the calf has been bided over or under it's value.

In the beginning, I'd go to the auction with a pad and paper and calculator. I would put a description of the calves and the price and weight. Go home and study my notes.
Cattle auctions are about as close as you can get to a free market. You have to sell something that 2 buyers want to own or you are a motherless child.
Bids go down at the end of most auctions, because buyers have either filled their trailers or strained their checkbooks. They do have to write checks that cash, or they won't be back bidding at that auction. And if they buy 45 calves and the trailer holds 40, they are out a trip. I like private treaty, because I don't get stuck in that trap.
It's quite a game. Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes the bug.

At horse sales sellers have been known to tell the auctioneer to stop the bidding, cause he was just going to take the horse back home. I've also seen them tell the auctioneer to start the bidding at say $500 or watever; and, if there weren't any bids he'd just take the horse home. I've never seen either of these things happen at a cattle auction. Has anyone else? What about maybe bidding up your own cattle to the least your willing to take, assuming you have someone to bid against?

dcara,

In Stephenville, you can do two things: Identify a PO (Pull Out) price when dropping them off at the sale, OR, PO them while in the ring. However; when the next animal starts to sell, last sale final!

As for bidding on your own cattle, I personally despise the practice, although some here do it. I have seen on more than one occasion, someone run the price, then tell the auctioneer he misunderstood, he wasn't bidding. Just running the price...even saw it get to the point the auctioneer would not recognize the bidder after a few of these "mistakes". :roll:

Van

Latest posts