What you think of these two cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
What is your opinions on these cows? Both good and bad opinions are welcome.
Registered Red Angus (I do not have papers on her) with her bull calf
IMG_20140601_200507_259_zpse522af15.jpg

IMG_20140601_201047_680_zps5963513b.jpg

7 years old commercial black angus cow. I considered her to be one of my best cows.
IMG_20140601_195513_713_zpsb761d8e1.jpg

They both liik like find beefers... the black one seems to be due for a hoof trimming, but she's nice and full bodied. The red one needs to make calves with 2 hind legs and 2 front legs... the one she's got only has one of each... no wonder it's leaning on her!

I like them both as commercial cows.
They are real nice. Both appear to have very good udders. I prefer a fuller hip myself. But that is personal preference, it looks like she raises a real nice calf and that is what counts! Most importantly, they look in good shape and healthy!
I would be proud of them both if I were you! ;-)

Nesi is right about your black cows feet. Better get her trimmed up if you want her to stay sound. (I can't see the red cows feet.)

Our farm is on the edge of swampland so the ground is always wet and soft. Lot of sedge grass too which is the main reason why we move our cattle to their summer pasture with adequate forage and hard ground.

Taurus they are both good cows......and there's nothing wrong with the hip on either of them. Length of hip is something I select for pretty hard and I wouldn't throw either of them out on that score.

nice girls.

Pretty good cows Taurus. I see a decent hip on both. Not bad udders, and good calves (I assume the black one raises a good calf since you think a lot of her)...which is the goal around my place.

Putangitangi":15jf93g6 said:
branguscowgirl":15jf93g6 said:
... I prefer a fuller hip myself. ...
Would you please explain what you mean?

What age is the calf?
As I said, it is just my personal preference........There is nothing wrong with those beautiful cows.
I personally like more muscle and roundness to the rear end of my cows. Here are a couple pictures of some of mine to hopefully "explain what I mean" as requested by Putangitangi. :D
Like the song, "I like big bu#s and I can not lie"! :banana:
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...-4ecb-b47d-9b956044c403_zps2e6163d2.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...-48c4-93ba-74e8581c11de_zps077f8b01.jpg[/img][/url]

Putangitangi":1t1bgmev said:
Oh, you do, don't you! Thanks.

It's partly a matter of fat cover though, isn't it?
Some fat, but those cows are grass fed. Mostly genetics that I actually breed for. I don't keep and breed any "kitty hams" that's for sure! Only the best bu#s make the cut! :lol:

Nothing wrong with those cows Taurus. You should see some of the cows most young guys start out with these high prices. Yours are blue ribbon in comparison.

BCG, Brahman completely change the butts on Angus cattle. I like em big too, we never run out of uses for ground beef around here. haha

nice cows Taurus.
they really do have good udders, especially for older cows.

branguscowgirl, I don't know if you know this and I don't mean to offend, but fat cows can get fat in their udders and it will eventually reduce their production. Especially if they get fat deposits in the udder while they are dry. The udder may appear nice and full, but in reality it is fat. It is most noticeable after the calf has nursed. The udder should look like a deflated balloon when empty. Once an udder gets fatty, it is difficult to get rid of it.

I am saying this because there may be others there who are not aware of this.

Looks like those cows are putting assets on the ground which is what we all want. They don't seem hard doing . So, I would say they are doing their job. B&G :tiphat:

branguscowgirl, I don't know if you know this and I don't mean to offend, but fat cows can get fat in their udders and it will eventually reduce their production. Especially if they get fat deposits in the udder while they are dry. The udder may appear nice and full, but in reality it is fat. It is most noticeable after the calf has nursed. The udder should look like a deflated balloon when empty. Once an udder gets fatty, it is difficult to get rid of it.
Thanks Chippie. I am quite aware of this. Those pictured are 11 and 12 year old cows, don't think they have a problem.
These cows have been thin, and they still keep their shapely bottoms. It's in their genes. ;-)
I don't want to high jack Taurus's thread, I was only answering a question that was directed towards me. :hide:

branguscowgirl":1pidc6g1 said:
Putangitangi":1pidc6g1 said:
branguscowgirl":1pidc6g1 said:
... I prefer a fuller hip myself. ...
Would you please explain what you mean?

What age is the calf?
As I said, it is just my personal preference........There is nothing wrong with those beautiful cows.
I personally like more muscle and roundness to the rear end of my cows. Here are a couple pictures of some of mine to hopefully "explain what I mean" as requested by Putangitangi. :D
Like the song, "I like big bu#s and I can not lie"! :banana:
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...-4ecb-b47d-9b956044c403_zps2e6163d2.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...-48c4-93ba-74e8581c11de_zps077f8b01.jpg[/img][/url]

I guess we have a compromise. We go for the big butts but very poor udders. :(

I've got a question i've always wanted to ask someone who has red angus. You got the cow right, why go red? We have a couple red angus that we got out of our angus one year. I understand that buyers are going to know if the calf is angus, but do they go for top dollar since they arent black? Do the reds get lumped in with the angus black?

Red Angus are popular around here and they don't sort the red calves from the blacks at our sale barn. My red calves got sold along with the blacks. We liked how the red Angus looks and we bred them to our black Angus bulls. We did got red calves out of the red Angus cows but they were bred to red Angus bulls when we purchased these red cows two years ago. No red calves born this year.

Latest posts