What would you choose?

Help Support CattleToday:

csutton

Reaction score
The goal is to create a commercial herd of around 90-100 head of cows. Looking for most productive option. So, what would you choose? Bred heifers or older bred cow/calf pairs? Any reason one is better than the other?

csutton":pw61pqnd said:
The goal is to create a commercial herd of around 90-100 head of cows. Looking for most productive option. So, what would you choose? Bred heifers or older bred cow/calf pairs? Any reason one is better than the other?

Heavies or three in ones does away with a whole bunch of heifer problems. These girls know how to work.
Heifers are a crap shoot at best and everyone you buy will be breed to a low BW bull including the 20% you pull.

PS Buy red cows as they are cheaper and you have more options with a red cow.

Caustic Burno":14ttzxt2 said:
csutton":14ttzxt2 said:

Heavies or three in ones does away with a whole bunch of heifer problems. These girls know how to work.

PS Buy red cows as they are cheaper and you have more options with a red cow.

Probably so.

Caustic Burno":1m0hvtlu said:
Heifers are a crap shoot at best and everyone you buy will be breed to a low BW bull including the 20% you pull.

You may be right if you buy. We haven't pulled one in years. As you know we don't buy them.

id buy either pairs or 3 in 1s.thus getting the cash flow going with the weaned calf sales.thus paying the cows off faster.

Caustic,
What type of red cattle would you think? I have a source for good charlais bulls, but right it is in the planning/wishing stage. Just looking to get some ideas to start shooting for.

Bigbull,
I was thinking the same, but also was wondering how hard it would be to get those cows on a calving schedule (for lack of better word).

if you want the cows on a set calving period.that will take 2 or 3yrs.if you buy 3 in 1s buy cows that are bred with in 60 to 90 days of eachother.that would be a good way to start tightening things up.

csutton":lq1urf45 said:
Caustic,
What type of red cattle would you think? I have a source for good charlais bulls, but right it is in the planning/wishing stage. Just looking to get some ideas to start shooting for.

Bigbull,
I was thinking the same, but also was wondering how hard it would be to get those cows on a calving schedule (for lack of better word).

I always like a little Brimmer, Red Brangus and Char would make a heavy calf running across the scales.
Char and Hereford cross rings the bell here as well those yellow baldies bring top dollar and are heavy to boot.
Problem with Red Brangus is finding enough of the things.
I am looking hard at bringing in a Red Brangus bull for my next one.

I would go with the older cows and if possible the 3 n ones. That gives you quick start to build the herd.If you get some good heifers out the cows raise them to add to the herd, thus building up to the numbers you want.
Secondly you will already have calves on the ground you can see what type of calf the cows will raise and cull from that. Putting a lil money your way to develop the herd.

I would go with something that had experience. Heifer you may not know what they are bread to and there is always the calving and just flat stupid things they do. Any thing with a calf or so behind them. You can buy and sell them until you get what you want and should not loose on them.

I'd personnaly recommend a fullblood Limousin bull. You can find low birth weight bulls easily enough and you'll put a lot of muscle on your calves. Check out the ad for DHAN Second to None in the Cattle Today classifieds or go to http://www.fullbloodlimousinalliance.org and check the member's directory for members in Texas that may be near you. :cboy:

Red Bull I've never owned any limousin and this post is a bit off topic but right now we have a freezer full of limousin beef we bought from a Limo breeder who butchers the ones that don't make it as show calves. I know there is a lot of good beef out there but for me this is the most delicious meat I've ever eaten in my life. we get it at http://www.brehmfarms.com. Great folks, great cattle and great beef.

Latest posts