What would you breed her to?

Help Support CattleToday:

If your wanting a calf you can show try Northern Improvement. He is an angus bull that will give you a small calf with good show look. A sale that we went to this year the people use NI on their club calf heifers for show calves and they had some nice calves out of him. One of the calves went for $10000. The shorthorn bull you picked looks nice I have not seen any calves out of him so I don't know how well they turn out. Who is your heifer out of?

Look at my last post on this page-it listed her parents and so forth. (I just don't want to type it again!)

Santas and Duhram Reds":o5epi5tt said:
I don't think you will get red with a shorthorn bull. You might get a blue roan.

Well, her sire was red and white, so she carries the red gene. If you breed her to a red bull you have a 50/50 chance of getting a red calf. Depending on the coloring of the sire you could also get roan (if the bull is roan), spots (if the bull is spotted) or solid color.

I see that your heifer goes back to Double Stuff he is a PHA and TH carrier so make sure that what ever you use that it is both PHA and TH free until you test your heifer.

showmomof2":qy06z4wc said:
It is time to think about breeding this heifer. She is 3/4 maine and 1/4 shorthorn. The place we bought her from wanted to breed her to their angus bull. He is nice and muscular. Of course, we will check birthweights on anything we breed her to first. My daughter wants a shorthorn calf to show and since this heifer is 1/4 shorthorn would it be feasible to breed her to a shorthorn bull? The calf would be over 1/2 and eligable for the appendix shorthorn registry if I'm not mistaken. Also, do you think we could get some color? The daddy to this heifer is very colorful-red and white. What do you think? This heifer has put on some more condition since this picture, but this is the only one I had of her on this computer. Thanks.
100_1956.JPG

See what you have started here?

In all honesty - this animal is not a real show stopper - she will do fine in the field.

Breed her to almost anything and you will be fine.

Bez>

Latest posts